Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Faux-mosexual' Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Apparantly a new word has been created. A faux-mosexual is a heterosexual who feigns (or has) a same-sex relationship just for the attention.

This article will present you with that term, as well as frenemy ("someone who pretends to be your friend, but is really your enemy" - wikipedia) and heteroflexible (a heterosexual who a same-sex relationship).

Comments? Likelihood of sticking?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Frenemy is a great word, isn't it! A faux-mosexual could be a homosexual with a fake mo. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
. . . frenemy ("someone who pretends to be your friend, but is really your enemy" - wikipedia) . . .

The Wikipedia article says frenemy has two definitions, was first used by Jessica Mitford ("Decca"), and was apparently coined by one of her sisters.

• Frenemy or frienemy is a portmanteau of friend and enemy which can refer to either an enemy disguised as a friend or to a partner that is simultaneously a competitor
  • First used by author Jessica Mitford.
  • Jessica Mitford is quoted in “Decca: the letters of Jessica Mitford - edited by Peter Sussman” as saying that the word frienemy was coined by one of her sisters when she was a small child to describe a rather dull little girl who lived near them- they were inseparable companions, all the time disliking each other heartily". Apparently it was one of Decca's favourite words.

Dr. Goodword (Dr. Goodword’s Language Blog) calls it a nonce-word. But read the comments, especially the last one.

• 6 Marisa Says: February 25th, 2008 at 10:17 pm

The first time I read about frenemies was in an article from 1977 by author Jessica Mitford, in refernece to a little girl who was a frenemy of her sister back in the 20’s.

Jessica Mitford was born in 1917.

The earliest citation I can find in the news is February 9, 1952 in The Nation:

• Feb 9, 1952
    ling” his way along, to borrow frenemy. Picasso’s devastating veh-he. seems. n,ever to be. deeply involved. QI. even. sljahtly carried away by his work. ...

There are quite a few mistakes in that quote. It's hard to tell if frenemy is really the word in the article or just one of the mistakes. Perhaps it should be "to borrow from his enemy."

It's mentioned in English Teacher's Book of Instant Word Games a 1992 book by Ruth
Rice.
  • On the back of this sheet, try putting some words together to make an interesting blend of your own. For example, if you have a friend who treats you badly at times, you might refer to that friend as a frenemy (a friendly enemy). Or you might refer to a difficult problem as a bafflemma (baffling dilemma).

The New York Times mentions it in a book review:

• ONE of the most useful mashups to emerge in the last millennium is “Frenemy,” a term that was actually coined decades ago by a sister of the caustic Anglo-American author and journalist Jessica Mitford, who later used it in her writings. The word disappeared, then reappeared in conversation in 2000, in an episode of “Sex and the City.”

The book is The DailyCandy Lexicon: Words That Don't Exist But Should.

Anyone care for a whor d'oeurve?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Likelihood of sticking?

I think as we move along in society and start being more open about people's tendancies to try out other sexual experiences we're going to see more of these kinds of words being used. I don't know how long they'll stick, though, if they're not adopted by the media and allowed by editors.

I like the word "frenemy" very much, though. It has a certain fluidity on the tongue, and I can imagine using it in all kinds of circumstances.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Back in the sixties I heard, "freighbors" for "friends and neighbors." It got nowhere.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
"freighbors" for "friends and neighbors

My favorite is "the SOBs next door." I hear that all over.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I like frenemy, too. CW, nice to see you!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hmmmmm... Would a frienema be a friend who's always right up your backside? Roll Eyes

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
A faux-mosexual is a heterosexual who feigns (or has) a same-sex relationship just for the attention.

Of course, as I believe Woody Allen was reputed to have said, being bisexual doubles your chances of a date on a Saturday night

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post