Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crap Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an article in the Tribune about our CTA's (Chicago Transit Authority) new "courtesy campaign." [With the Tribune's new stupid process you probably can't access it - sorry.] They are supposed to be "down-to-earth" signs calling for more courtesy.

In one they show a pregnant lady, with the verbiage, "Ride with heart. Won't you offer your seat? Please offer a pregnant passenger your seat. Remember, your mother was pregnant once."

However, it is the other that has people in a tizzy. I haven't seen it but apparently it features a man standing in a train with trash up to his waist. Then it says, 'Your maid doesn't work here. Please don't leave your crap behind."

"Crap" apparently is a "borderline bad word" that people don't want their children to hear. They lump it with "suck" or "pissed." They go on to say that they wouldn't use "crap" in front of their parents, and they preferred their kids didn't hear it.

What are your thoughts? I agree that trash would have been better, but I don't think it's that bad of a word. I also think it's odd to assume everyone has a maid. Thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the Tribune's new stupid process you probably can't access it

I could, but what a weird site! Instead of the usual top-down scrolling it scrolls sideways. Most off-putting!

I agree, "crap" is still a bit of a "naughty" word that most people won't expect to see used in a public sign. We'd use "rubbish" instead of "trash" but either would probably be better than "crap".

Speaking of transport authority ad campaigns, here is an article about a similar London Tube campaign. In this instance the crap involved is the doggerel used to write the things.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You're right arnie ... that sideways scrolling is weird.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I do like "rubbish." It sounds all British!

posted Hide Post
To me "rubbish" sounds like the language spoken in the land of Rub.

Crap? At least they didn't say, "Don't leave your junk behind." That might really have funny connotations.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you think about it, the same can be said for leaving your crap behind. Eek