Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Planting his plaints in quaints?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planting his plaints in quaints? Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
My local newspaper did an article on me and my book of humorous verse about common errors in English entitled "Casting Nasturtiums". The article had the obscure heading "Planting his plaints in quaints", which I have chosen to attribute to the sub-editor (rather than the journalist because she used to go to school with my son and I want to give her the benefit of the doubt). I have no idea what was meant by this. The only thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps the sub-editor thought he was saying "establishing his complaints in quatrains". Anyone got any better ideas?

If you would like to read the article you can do so on my Website at www.castingnasturtiums.com/2009/12/local-newspaper-article/ and clicking the "This article" link.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Plaint is a synonym of complaint (link). Quaint may merely be an adjective elevated to nounhood, i.e. something that is quaint. You might try sending an email to the sub-editor if you can find out who he (or she) is from your son's friend, the author.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think it's a clever title in response to your clever title.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post