Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hung vs. Hanged Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
As those of you in the U.S. know, and perhaps those of you in the UK have an inkling, both the Republican and Democratic campaigns have been very acrimonious. This quote, from a Sanders' fan to a Democratic party leader, is typical: "Hey bitch, we know where you live, where you work, where you eat, where your kids go to school. I think people like you should be hung (sic) in a public execution."

Now, setting aside the horror of that statement, for our site, I wondered about the sic here. Can't "hung" be used there, or should it be "hanged?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The convention is that people executed by a rope round the neck are "hanged". In other uses the past participle is "hung".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage provides many examples (including Pepys, Austen, Faulkner and O'Connor) of hung used in the execution sense, and concludes that if you observe the distinction (that Arnie mentions above), "you will spare yourself the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong."

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
'Hanged' is nice & active. Somehow 'you shall be hung by the neck until dead' doesn't have the same ring...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't we done this discussion before? What they used to call a "YART" on another discussion board?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Both men and women can be hanged but only men are hung.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
concludes that if you observe the distinction (that Arnie mentions above), "you will spare yourself the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong."
Love it, Goofy! Smile

To me, "hung" sounds perfectly active.

quote:
Haven't we done this discussion before?

Probably, Geoff. We've been going for a long time. However, the sic caught my attention.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
'Hanged' is nice & active. Somehow 'you shall be hung by the neck until dead' doesn't have the same ring...

And yet both "be hung" and "be hanged" are passive. Maybe "active" and "passive" are untranslatable.