Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Old telescopes and a new-to-me word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old telescopes and a new-to-me word Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
A fascinating tale in today's paper here told of a flash of insight – and it contained a new word. But I can't tell you the word without ruining the suspense that leads up to the insight. So …

Early telescopes, from before 1650, are extremely rare: only eight were known in the world (plus two whose age is disputed). A man from Chicago's Adler Planaterium, which has one, recently travelled to Germany to view another.

Seeing it, he had a sudden insight, an idea where others might be found. Boy, was he ever right! Two more were found almost immediately, following his idea.

What was his insight? Where were those two unearthed? What is the new-to-me word? See here.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Can you point me at a link (or just reproduce the answer) where I don't have to register?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Try this, Bob.

Is there a word for an "aha moment"? Shu and I were talking about that today, and while "epiphany" could work, you'd never say, for example, that someone had an epiphany before inventing something.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Nope. I just a get a page telling me I need to register to access the article.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I imagine the article will be picked up by the blogsphere shortly. But until then, Bob, I'm PMing you my registration information.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Excellent article.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I got that URL from Google news. I thought that was always available without having to register to the sites. Am I wrong about that?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I was able to see the article without being required to register.

I'd probably use 'epiphany'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I had to register to read the Tribune articles and did so maybe three years ago. It's no big deal - they never spam me - indeed, I can't remember the last time they even bothered to get in touch.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Fascinating article, Shu- and a cool word. Thanks for sharing it.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
German often manufactures words by joining
smaller words - in this case "Kunst" (art) with "Schrank" (cupboard). We would probably use two words, mabye "curio cabinet".
I did notice that although "Kunstschrank" is undeniably a German noun the article consistently shows it with a lower case k where the normal German practice would be to use upper case. What do you think of this? The word isn't English and is unlikely to become English so shouldn't we use it complete with its initial capital?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What do you think of this?

I often wonder about things like this. Where does it stop? Ought we to inflect the word using German morphology? Should I talk about two Kunstschränke or kunstschranks? Should I write that the pencil is auf dem Kunstschranke or on the kunstschrank? I would capitalize the noun.

On the other hand, I have books from the 19th century, printed in Germany, that do not use the capitalize nouns convention. It looks just plain weird, and it seems to have been a failed experiment.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I just tried the link again and this time they want me to register. Weird.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am confused. I thought links from Google News were always available without having to register for anything. Is that not the case?

I think it is hard to require the use of rules from other languages. While Zmj and Bob know German, others of us don't. I wouldn't even know to capitalize it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I just tried the link again and this time they want me to register. Weird.

Which is doubly odd as since I used shu's registration I haven't been asked to register again. I assumed that using shu's had written a cookie.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I am confused. I thought links from Google News were always available without having to register for anything. Is that not the case?

I think it is hard to require the use of rules from other languages. While Zmj and Bob know German, others of us don't. I wouldn't even know to capitalize it.

Actually I#ve found that most links from Google News require registration with the original publication.

posted Hide Post
quote:
on the kunstschrank? I would capitalize the noun.

I would choose clarity over consistency and not capitalize it. It's confusing if you don't know that German nouns are capitalized.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, neveu.