Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

table vs table Login/Join

posted
"At the meeting, Mary tabled the discussion paper."

I've been told that an American interpretation of this sentence will be exactly the opposite of a Canadian interpretation. I don't know how the British read it. What does it mean to you?

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I remember something about that, too, Duncan. I believe the British have the same interpretation as you do.

To those of us in the U.S., "to table" a discussion paper would mean to put it aside or delay it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You are right. To us it means to propose it for discussion.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
To us it means to propose it for discussion.

I hadn't heard this before. Fascinating! How did that happen?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've no idea how it took the opposite meaning in the US, but here it comes from 'put on the table'

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose I could have researched this a bit before I posed the question, but being an unregenerate procrastinator, I didn't.
In any event, here's what the Canadian Oxford Dictionary has to say...

"v.tr. 1. Cdn. & Brit.bring forward for discussion or consideration at a meeting. 2. esp. U.S. postpone consideration of (a matter). * Because both of these contradictory meanings are in use in Canada, confusion may arise if the verb table is used outside of the strictly parliamentary context, where the first sense should be understood. As a result, it is better to use a different verb altogether, such as present or postpone as the context requires."

Yes, us Canucks are stuck in the middle. We gotta know twice as much about language just to understand what the hell the Brits and Yanks are trying to say. Wink

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, us Canucks are stuck in the middle. We gotta know twice as much about language just to understand what the hell the Brits and Yanks are trying to say.

And the French as well, I suppose! How I'll get on when I visit in April, goodness only knows;-)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone (an American) at my office (in America) said "I'd like to table such and such a restaurant". I asked him who had suggested it in the first place, and he said "Me, I'm tabling it". I explained to him the issue with table having different meanings in British and American English. To prevent any confusion in the future, we decided on the convention that when using a British usage, we end the sentence with "guv'na".

For example, "I'd like to table a restaurant that serves Chicken Tikka Masala, guv'na".

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seanahan:

For example, "I'd like to table a restaurant that serves Chicken Tikka Masala, guv'na".

A fine idea. And in the spirit of international relations we'll adopt the Canadian Convention -

"I'd like to table a restaurant that serves Chicken Tikka Masala, eh?

Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post