Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm confuzed Login/Join

posted
Excuze me, please.

I'm amuzed but confuzed about diffuse and defuse. Is there any histoical reazon why we uze the s for the z-sound (especially after a long-u, it seems)? Shall we peruze the history?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Not quite sure what your question is. The s in defuse and use are etymological, but are pronounced as z. It's just how the (bizarre) orthography of English developed, oftentimes with no connection to how the language actually sounded when spoken. Fuse (alternate spelling fuze) comes from Latin fusus via Italian fuso.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, but how did the verb form of "use" come to rhyme with "ooze", but the noun form rhymes with "moose"? Did they start out as different words that eventually ended up getting spelled the same, and/or is this some sort of common pronunciation phenomenon?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it's to do with the fact that the noun is from Old French us, pronounced with [s], and the verb is from Old French user, prononced with [z]. For the same reason, we have advice and advise.

I could be wrong; I don't know any Old French phonology.

But I know that a similar thing happened in words derived from Old English: compare house as a noun and verb. In Old English, [s] and [z] were allophones of /s/. The voiced sound occured between vowels, and the voiceless sound occurred elsewhere. So the verb house is from Old English hūsian pronounced with [z]. But the noun house is from Old English hūs, pronounced with [s]. And the plural houses with [z] is a relic of the Old English [s] - [z] variation.

For the same reason we have voiceless - voiced alternations in breath and breathe, and teeth and teethe, and in theif thieves, knife knives etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
OK--- maybe I'm being ob-TOOS, but this thread seems like it's in a shorthand I never learned. (1)What noun? Do we mean the adjective dih-FYOOS? (2)What is the Old French us, pronounced with [s]? (3)What has de-fuse (v.) got to do with it? Or are we talking about the verb diffuse (dih-fyooz).

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
... from off the top of my head ....

defuse = (v) to remove the fuse from (as in a bomb)

difuse = (v) to spread evenly throughout the atmosphere by molecular motion

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa just sent me a great poem that is very relevant to this discussion. All of you have probably read it before, but I hadn't. Since it's his poem, I will let him post it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What noun?

The difference in pronunciation between use the noun and use the verb.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
OK--- maybe I'm being ob-TOOS, but this thread seems like it's in a shorthand I never learned. (1)What noun? Do we mean the adjective dih-FYOOS? (2)What is the Old French us, pronounced with [s]? (3)What has de-fuse (v.) got to do with it? Or are we talking about the verb diffuse (dih-fyooz).

Ah, see, I thought you were talking about use, not diffuse. My mistake.