Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Persian-English: I miss you
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Persian-English: I miss you Login/Join

posted
Hi

I want to use the literal translation of the Persian equivalent of "I miss you" in English but I don't know if it will make sense to a native speaker. Please tell me your opinion.

delam barât tang šode - My heart has become tight for you.

Should I change preposition to "of"? "barâ" (Spanish: para) means "for" and that's why I used it.

Thanks in advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alijsh,

----------------------
Hamdeli az hamzabâni behtar ast
To be one in heart is better than to be one in tongue

- Rumi (Persian poet)

Posts: 28 | Location: IranReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd leave the "for" and I suppose people would understand it. Perhaps "My heart is warm for you" is better? Thoughts, English speakers?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
warm... It's good because it shows anxiety but it's a direct expression for showing anxiety. "tight" wants to say of a heartsick caused by not seeing X.

What other "I miss you" expressions do you have? Can you please write me.

----------------------

- Rumi (Persian poet)

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Perhaps 'because of' or even 'through missing' you?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we are talking of an English expression, what's wrong with "I miss you"? The other phrases sound stilted.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It think the idea is that the writer is expressing his feelings in a more personal way that reflects the kind of native language expression he'd like to use.

FWIW I think it's great and doesn't need any amendment.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about, "My heart aches for you." All of these seem to imply something more than "I miss you" does, though. I miss some of my college friends, but I have no tightness, ache, or warmth of the heart for most of them.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Myth, I think you've got it. That works well and would be understood. Bob, the heart becoming "tight for you" doesn't quite capture the feeling, I don't think. To me, my "heart aching" works much better.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for your replies. Dear Myth, as dear Kalleh, I also like your phrase.

Today is the first day of spring and our New Year. Let me use this opportunity to congratulate you the coming of spring.

- All the best

----------------------

- Rumi (Persian poet)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, when I walked into my office this morning, they were handing out daffodils to celebrate the first day of spring. How fun!

By the way, Alijsh, do they have May Day in Iran? Here in the U.S. on May 1st sometimes kids put baskets on doors, ring the doorbell, and run away. Very sweet!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Speaking of daffodills ....... Razz

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yes, when I walked into my office this morning, they were handing out daffodils to celebrate the first day of spring. How fun!

By the way, Alijsh, do they have May Day in Iran? Here in the U.S. on May 1st sometimes kids put baskets on doors, ring the doorbell, and run away. Very sweet!

How interesting! My grandmother also bought a vase of daffodils this year. For us, the symbolic flower is hyacinth. It symbolizes the coming of spring. It's part of our Hafsin table which we prepare for welcoming New Year (Norouz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norouz; http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Celebrations/norooz.htm).

We have a special festival for the night before the last Wednesday of the year. In this night we go into streets to make fires and jump over them while singing a traditional song. In this night, we have also had until recent decades (and still have in some regions), a tradition similar to that of May Day. Boys and girls wearing veils so that they won't be recognized, go to the doorstep of others and beat spoons on metallic plates as an indication of requesting food offerings (goodies, nuts, etc.). This tradition is a bit similar to "Trick or Treat" in Halloween. We call it "Spoon-Beating".

As a side note, we have also a tradition for the 13th day of the New Year. It's called Sizdah-Bedar (figuratively means "hit the outdoors on the thirteenth"). People leave their homes to go to the parks or local plains for a festive picnic. It is a must to spend this day in nature.

----------------------

- Rumi (Persian poet)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, those are great traditions!

According to infoplease, May Day just might have more holidays than any other day of the year.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's now a holiday in the UK - although that's a relatively new adoption.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any holiday that involves jumping over fires in the street is OK in my book.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post