Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

spry Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was at a celebratory dinner tonight for about 1,000, with some very well-known nurses. Some colleagues were very excited to meet someone who is well-known in nursing, but who has been around since the '70s. When my colleagues met her, they described her as "quite spry" for her age. Many of us said we'd never want to be called "spry" because it makes you sound so old.

So I looked it up,and it seems to have a Scandinavian origin, meaning "active; nimble; agile; energetic; brisk." Those aren't "old" sounding words, are they? "Energetic" sounds absolutely young! How did "spry" get that elderly connotation?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
spry

I think it has connotations of elderliness because of the fixed phrase spry for their age.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes. However, how did that phrase arise? After all, you could say "energetic for their age" too, but we don't.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yes. However, how did that phrase arise? After all, you could say "energetic for their age" too, but we don't.

I'm pretty sure I've seen "energetic" used quite often. And "active", and "nimble" ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One expects youngsters to be spry, so no comment needed unless they're inactive consumers of super-size sugar water and computer addicts, in which case they're called statistics.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, I see "energetic" used for the young, but not the old.

<Proofreader>
posted
I would have called JackPalance "energetic" and "spry" after watching him do one-handed pushups at his advanced age some years ago.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post