Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vocabulary Question Login/Join

posted
I understand that "linguaphile" is defined as a lover of languages and words.
However, is there a word that defines a lover ONLY for words and vocabulary (as opposed to a lover for words as well as languages)?

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
"Wordaphile"

Look for it in the new OED coming out in the not-too-near future.

posted Hide Post

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Oxford English Dictionary.

The idea that it is in his eyes imperfect and requires his guiding hand in a rewrite is one of CJ's little fantasies. We try to indulge him in his harmless notions whenever we can. After all the poor old fellow is 179 years old and now exists solely as a brain in a jar. What was left of his body was apparently buried at midnight at the crossroads with a stake through the heart.

Or is that Dracula I'm thinking of ?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thank you both sincerely. Smile

posted Hide Post
Derek, take a look at muse's post of Sept. 2, and those following.

"Lexiphile" seemed appropriate, but "logophile" seemed to be more sanctioned by usage, and sent Kalleh into a creative ecstasy.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I posted those from the online Grandiloquent Dictionary when we first started here. Since then, I have learned a lot more about words and realize that some of those listed probably aren't accepted words....though, we really haven't decided what an accepted word is. I think we all agree that it doesn't have to be in OED. Since the OED doesn't ever take out a word, that isn't even definitive. Furthermore, there are new words that don't get included, and at least some of us think that sometimes the OED has made mistakes.

So, don't take that list from the online Grandiloquent Dictionary to heart. Still, I think "logophile" is the correct word for lover of words.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Linguaphile" translates as "language lover", whereas "logophile" means "word lover".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
There was no Greek word for 'word' as such, so 'logophile' is as good as any. But if you're trying to spread words, how about the well-bred 'glottophile' in place of this ghastly chimaera 'linguaphile'?

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I have just asked a simple question, and in turn, I have received an extensive amount, even a surfeit of answers and responses.
The vast knowledge in diction that all of you clearly possess is truly something one (like me) must aspire to!

Thank you all once again.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Derek, we are so thrilled to have you here. I especially love it when new posters start topics. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post