Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Who's the leader of the anarchists?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's the leader of the anarchists? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oxymoronic, that! I'm wondering whether anarchy has the same negative connotation in the rest of the world as it does here. Given the Jeffersonian idea that the government that governs least governs best, it seems odd that anarchy, as Rodney Dangerfield used to say, don't get no respect!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
anarchy, as Rodney Dangerfield used to say, don't get no respect!

I'll say. They are virtually invisible in American school history texts, despite the fact that in their heyday they killed a lot of national leaders including one American President. Of course, it's a philosophy that carries the seeds of it's own destruction -- I remember reading somewhere that Anarchist brigades actually captured some towns in the Spanish Civil War, but, being anarchists, refused to organize a common defense and quickly lost them again -- but that's also worthy of study.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Can anarchy even exist? Is it just a theoretical construct?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Asa - I think human beings are too competitive for anarchy to exist. Someone will always take the lead.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post