Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hinky Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I saw the word "hinky" used recently, an adjective meaning acting suspiciously or nervous or suspicious. I hadn't heard it used before, though it seems like a great word (it was used to describe a politician). The etymology in one dictionary said it was an alteration of hincty, though another said that it was an unknown etymology. Hincty means "conceited or snobbish" and has an "obscure" origin. The relationship between "snobbish" and "suspicious" seems unclear to me.

Have you heard of either of these words?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
No, never.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I first heard it used in the film, The Fugitive, which took place in Chicago. I thought it was an Illinois term. I've heard it in the wild and used it a couple of times myself.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
hinky-dinky parlez-vous

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've heard it on several occasions, generally meaning "not right, suspect."

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I've noticed the slang word 'funky' being used in the sense Asa quotes. Wonder if the similarity in sound is fuzzing the distinction between the two words, or if it's coicidental that one of 'funky's' meanings is similar to 'hinky'?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard "hinky" used, and have used it myself. I generally mean something is off or "not right" as Asa said. I didn't even think it would be in an actual dictionary, as I thought it was slang.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang traces it back to 1956. where it meant "nervous" or "jumpy."

In 1967, in Black English, it referred to something "cheap or petty."

Joseph Wambaugh used it in 1975 to indicate someone police thought suspicious.

1987 in 21 Jump Street a character says "He got hinky and we had to subdue him," which gives a meaning of unwilling to comply with orders.

Hinky-dink(y) goes back to 1894 as the nickname of a Chicago alderman: Michael "Hinky-Dink" Kenna. Leave it to Chicago to get involved here.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Was he a hinky-dinky hunky in a honky-tonk, perchance?