Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skank Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
While fortunately I haven't heard the word used that much, I had always known skank to mean one who is foul or filthy. My nieces are visiting and tell me it means "slut. When I look it up in the O"ED, the first quote is from 1964 to mean "promiscuous woman." Other definitions, such as "filth" or a rhythmic dance seemed to evolve from that. Does anyone know anything more about this word?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about it other than what you have posted here, but, like your nieces, I have always thought of it as meaning "slut."

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In my neighborhood, a "skank" is the slut who will screw everyone but you.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess I am just too clean for my own good. When 9 and 10 year olds know the meaning, and I don't, it's not a good sign!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I think the word may have even popped up in Disney Channel movies like "High School Musical," or similar, but probably with your schedule, you aren't watching too much Disney Channel these days!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
We used to have a nightclub in Columbus called Skankland .

I believe it was called Skankland because they generally featured Jamaican music: reggae, ska, skank, etc.

I'd heard the word used to refer to dirty sluts (not just sluts, mind you, but ones particularly dirty-looking, with ragged hair, etc).

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Based on the context in which I've heard it, around here it seems to imply a female who's extremely unkempt, regardless of whether she puts out for Proofreader. Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post