Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words from astrology Login/Join

posted
An article in today's paper discussed arguments that certain historical events were greatly affected by the fact they happened on a night that was well-lit, or poorly-lit, by the moon.

Leading to this thought: some of our words trace back to the belief that human behavior is affected, astrologically, by the heavens. For example, lunacy and lunatic derive from the root luna, meaning moon.

What are some further words coming from astrology or astrological beliefs?

[This message was edited by astral on Mon Jul 15th, 2002 at 07:05 AM.]

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Disaster is one. Astrolager is another. How about martial, from the Roman god of war, or jovial, from Jove?(Jupiter) Oh, yeah, there's mercurial and plutonic too. Maybe it's a good thing the ancients didn't know about Uranus!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that plutonic doesn't come from astrology, since the planet pluto wasn't known to the ancients.

But Asa, you raise a question more interestiong than mine: words with "heavenly" connections, or perhaps I should say heavenly words? smile

Interesting that though the sun is the most prominant of the heavenly bodies, off the top of my head I can't think of any non-technical, figurative words refering to it by its latin or greek names. The only "sun-word" that comes to mind is is sunny.

posted Hide Post
Solar
Solarize
Solarium
Sun-lamp
-fish
-dog
-light
-flower
-burst
-dew
-lit... Smile
-Epiphile

Posts: 23 | Location: MinnesotaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I'll believe in astrology when Mercury comes out of Uranus.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post