Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hemline Theory Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This term has been around for decades, but how many decades? Does any one - ahem - take stock in it? Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
.... only those with a kneed to know ......

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We still have hemlines?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
So far as I can remember, the theory was originally proposed by Desmond Morris in his book "The Naked Ape" - although I don't know whether he actually called it that. But his suggestion was that general economic performance rose and fell with the length of ladies' skirts.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
We still have hemlines?

I personally don't, but others might. Wink

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Laughing here, Jerry!

quote: his suggestion was that general economic performance rose and fell with the length of ladies' skirts.

Or that the length of ladies' skirts rose and fell with general economic performance.

(I should note that the theory is that ecomomic performance is correlated with the hemline, and thus is inversely proportional to skirt length. Wink )

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose the ratio depends on what you decide as the parameter. Desmond Morris suggested that the shorter the skirt (and thus the higher the hem) the better was the economic performance of a country.

Or in other words, the more material in the skirt, the less cash in the pocket.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
My theory re: this theory...

Economic times are hard; women have to work longer hours and can't get to the gym as often, so they gain weight. And since money is so tight they can't afford a new razor or a trip to the salon for that waxing, so they wear longer skirts to hide their fat, hairy legs.

In better times, women work out more, have time to lay in the sun, get those bikini waxes, so they want to wear mini skirts to show off their fabulous gams.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In better times, women work out more, have time to lay in the sun, get those bikini waxes, so they want to wear mini skirts to show off their fabulous gams.

How does this theory hold out for the 1920s, though?

Richard English

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
In better times, women work out more, have time to lay in the sun,

Ah, the old lay/lie business! If they "lay" in the sun, I presume someone is laying them? Eek Big Grin

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
My theory re: this theory...

Economic times are hard; women have to work longer hours and can't get to the gym as often, so they gain weight. And since money is so tight they can't afford a new razor or a trip to the salon for that waxing, so they wear longer skirts to hide their fat, hairy legs.

Alternatively:

Economic times are good; therefore there are more well-heeled men able to afford luxury goods; therefore there's more market for luxury goods (the ultimate luxury good being a cute young thing on your arm: outrageously expensive, but highly visible conspicuous consumption); therefore women find it a promising career move to more assertively strut their stuff and "display their wares".

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
TrossL, I love your theory! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
What is it that is rising or falling with hemlines?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The stock market - AND the "angle of the dangle!" Eek

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a time when the hemlines were actually falling, have you? It always seems that they are rising.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a time when the hemlines were actually falling, have you?

They fell shortly after the micro-miniskirt: late '60s, early '70s.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's face it, had they gone any higher then the skirt would have become a belt.

If the theory is to hold good, hemlines will still be rising since the stock market is still rising. When it falls (or even crashes as some analysts believe it soon will) then we will see a simultaneous lengthening of hemlines.

Richard English

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
...When it falls (or even crashes as some analysts believe it soon will) then we will see a simultaneous lengthening of hemlines.

Tsk Tsk I had some beautiful midis-- finally gave them all away about 10 yrs ago. Had I only known about 'hemline theory', I would have kept them around!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:

Tsk Tsk I had some beautiful midis-- finally gave them all away about 10 yrs ago. Had I only known about 'hemline theory', I would have kept them around!

So you didn't read any of sci-fi writer Robert Hemline's stuff, huh? Roll Eyes

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Hemlein [sic] genealogy. .... FWIW.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I was trying to pun Heinlein, but appear to have failed.

Asa, slinking back to his doghouse, tail between legs.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Cheer up, Asa. Your Heinlein pun worked very well. LOL and hahahahaha

..... SIT ! ..... STAY !!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oh, thank goodness! I was afraid I was being a pain in the Asimov.