Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antebellum Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
How do you Brits and Canadians use the word 'antebellum'?

Literally it of course means "before the war", raising the question of which war. Here in the US we use it to mean "before the US civil war of the 1860's". We particularly speak of the "antebellum south", the pre-war southern world of plantations depicted in Gone with the Wind, a world that indeed was gone after the whirlwind of that war.

But today's newspaper used 'antebellum' to mean "before 9/11", saying, "Antebellum America was a different place. Nothing concentrates the mind more effectively than war." That made me realize that only USns would think of 'antebellum' in connection with the US civil war.

How do you think of it?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The short answer is that I don't.
Although I'm familiar with the meaning of the word I don't think I've ever used it (other than in this kind of discussion) or even heard or seen its use elsewhere.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
To me 'antebellum' only ever means US pre-Civil-War, as a descriptor of architecture, social conditions, etc.

It doesn't mean anything like 'pre-war' in any sense I'd use that. In fact 'pre-war' and 'before the war' unequivocally refer to pre-1939 -- unless of course there's a very specific context of some other war.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Indeed. We would probably say "before the War" or "pre-war" - meaning WW2.

The only "ante" word I would use is "antedeluvian"

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu, in the U.S. I have seen it used as pre-WWII, especially regarding the antebellum anti-Semitism.

Richard, I have always love "antedeluvian," and, in fact, I think I may have written a DD with it; if I didn't, I should have! Wink There is also ante cibum (A.C.), which means "before meals." In nursing we often give medications A.C.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
ante meridian is where we get am (for morning) from, isn't it.
Ante-post favourite is a racing thing.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We also have anteroom and antechamber. Thre is also ante in poker, meaning the first contribution that each player makes to the pot.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Antebellum for me means pre-US-Civil-War and pre-war means before WW2, unless the context calls for some other war.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post