Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    We could use these words! ;)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We could use these words! ;) Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
From a magazine:

What with millions of words to choose form, you wouldn't think the English language needs any more. You'd be wrong. Here are a few new ones that dictionaries should start making room for.

Adicake: To give up the last piece of cake to someone else.
Accidue: Small pieces of broken glass, metal and other debris that remain at the scene of an accident.
Calorosity: The desire while dieting and eating out to look over the desert menu and still possess the willpower to not order any dessert.
Flabbygast: To be overcome with astonishment that despite excessive dieting, you haven't lost a pound.
Manorexic: Characterizing a male who eats an extremely large amount of food yet gains no weight.
Nostralgia: A reminder of one's past brought on by a familiar or more recently unfamiliar smell.
Plaquack: The one mysterious dentist out of five who doesn't provide advice such as recommending sugarless gum for his patients who chew gum.

posted Hide Post
shouldn't the first one be Abdicake?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Probably, Myth.

I like manorexic. We all know men like that, and how annoying! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son has several books of such words. They are called "Sniglets." One of my favorietes is a word for the momentary pause of rain on your windshield when you go under a bridge. That is a "downpause." Another favorite is the name of the reading material that you keep in the smallest room of your house. That is "S___ erature."

posted Hide Post
I seem to recall "fenderbergs" describing the large accumulations of ice on cars in snowy weather.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

posted Hide Post
The momentary pause of sunlight when you go under a bridge is known as the "heliopause".

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Reviving a thread

I was looking for a thread where I could post about a new word I learned and came upon this old one with people we haven't seen in awhile, including missann. I wonder where Myth is these days. Sean posts in my Blog once in awhile, but I've not seen him here in a long time.

I came across a word that is new to me. It was in a book written by someone from the U.K. so maybe it's used there more frequently than here (or maybe I've just not heard it before). It is: Festschrift and means "a collection of writings published in honor of a scholar." Its origin is German from words meaning "celebration" and "writing." Interestingly, the author uses the word in a cynical way, saying that in order to explain this person's work it would require a "festschrift."

How have you seen the word used? Is it often used cynically?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Festschrift

It's pretty common in academia, at least here in the States and in linguistics. I own a fair number of them. The meaning is rather straight-forward, as you have glossed it, but any word can be used cynically or sarcastically.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So a collection of Fat Stan's writings would be a Fatschrift?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Fatschrift

I was going to suggest Fettschrift (literally fat + writing), but that is a German word meaning boldface. The alternative, Dickschrift is still available.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's pretty common in academia, at least here in the States and in linguistics
Well, as an academic and being from the U.S., I haven't heard it. Perhaps it's not used as much in medical/nursing academia, or maybe I've just not seen it. Surely we have plenty of scholars who have published a lot (Patricia Benner from UCSF comes to mind) who could be described this way.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I did hear the word "festschrift" used once, at a retirement party for one of our professors, a chemist, who was also a poet, and he'd had a festschrift published in his honor. But I'd forgotten it until I read this. So to me, it's pretty obscure, but then, I wasn't an academic!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia has an article (link). Google Books yields over 15K ghits (link), but not all of them are in English or apropos.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting combination...chemistry and poet. I bet I'd like him!

Z, I wasn't doubting you (nor do I ever!). I was just saying that I hadn't heard of it. I suppose that makes me look rather ignorant, but what are you going to do? Wink

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I suppose that makes me look rather ignorant, but what are you going to do?

I don't think so, I was just saying I'd heard of it, and I thought it was a common word in academia. There are plenty of words I'm ignorant of, but that's why Johnson and Webster wrote their dictionaries.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
How about a simpler word--tribute? Or homage? Shades of meaning with these I'm not apprehending?

Yes, because as the definition goes (e.g., in the OED) "A collection of writings forming a volume presented to a scholar or savant on the occasion of his attaining a certain age or period in his career." That's a pretty specific thing that tribute does not quite cover. The people with the writing of Festschriften all knows what it means and folks who do not know the word can do what I and other English speakers do when we run across a word we don't know: look it up in a dictionary.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.