Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Fortuitously" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Number 2 of 3 in the threads begun with one on "dissect".

The author says fortuitously, but does he mean fortunately? What is the difference between those words.
quote:
Katrina's flood waters wrecked [the Cramond's home of 38 years] in 10 minutes. Fortuitously, the Cramonds had evactuated. Flood waters in their neighborhood reached at least 17 feet."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
If he meant 'fortuitously', it's unexplained why it is. It would be fortuitous if they had decided they were safe from flooding, then just at the last minute had decided to call on relatives. 'Fortuitous' connotes something strange, something exceptionally or very coincidentally lucky -- not just lucky, which 'fortunate' is.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think, Shu, that you've found an author who is trying to sound smarter than he actually is.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with CW, and I agree with aput that the two words differ, but in my mind the distinction is a different one. To me, fortuitous is not simply an extreme case of fortunate, an "exceptional or very coincidental" case. Rather there's a qualitive difference.

Suppose I bet on a longshot in a the roulette table, and win. As I rake in my winnings I don't notice that I inadventantly drop one chip back onto the table, resting where its become a bet on 23. And sure enough, this time the 23 comes up, and I win again. The first win is exactly what I intended and hoped for when I placed my bet. The second is not; I did not even intend to place the bet.

On that basis I'd say that the first win is fortunate but the second is fortuitous.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think, Shu, that you've found an author who is trying to sound smarter than he actually is.

And who has ever heard of such an outrageous thing.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post