Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ideal" vs. "Perfect" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
A friend asked me to write what I considered the difference between "ideal" and "perfect." I thought about it for awhile and wrote some of my thoughts. He then told me his thoughts, and we seem to disagree. What is the difference to you? After a few replies, I will share what we think.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A thing might be "perfect" in the sense that it is a good as it possibly can be and it is not possible for it to be improved. That is an impossible end for products but some come close.

However, that a product is perfect does not mean it is ideal. A thing that is perfectly made might not be fit for every purpose and thus not ideal in every circumstance.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Do you see "perfect" as practical, but "ideal" as something that is imagined? That's what my friend thinks, and it's almost the opposite for me. I think of "ideal" as something that you can achieve (such as being the "ideal" candidate for a job). However, I don't think of many things or plants or animals as actually being "perfect." I think of us as trying to achieve perfection, but what really is "perfect?"

I also see "perfect" as more negative than "ideal." An "idealist" wants to do the right thing for the right reason. A "perfectionist," to me, can almost be anal...taking much energy for the most inconsequential undertaking. I see "prescriptivists" as similar to "perfectionists."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just found this joke related to "perfect" that I thought funny:

"I love to e-mail back and forth with our medical transcription trainees from India. They use such beautiful, flowery language. 'With God's grace and you at the helm, I will endeavor to succeed on the road to perfection,' wrote one man when he sent in his work."

"I responded with a thank-you and three pages of corrections, which elicited another e-mail from him. 'I see the road to perfection is longer than anticipated.'" Big Grin

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I generally think of "ideal" and "perfect" as being synonymous. I would choose which word to use arbitrarily.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you see "perfect" as practical, but "ideal" as something that is imagined? That's what my friend thinks, and it's almost the opposite for me.
I'm with you. Although the two words are pretty well synonymous, if pressed I would say that "ideal" would be the best way (or whatever). "Perfect" would mean the best way regardless of practicality.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Mulling over the comparison of absolute adjectives, I found myself wondering out loud: we have Thomas Jefferson's solecism in the US Constitution, "a more perfect union", but can ideal be compared?

The most ideal solution is often the least understood.

I'm guessing not.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm with CW--I am sure I use them interchangeably and arbitrarily as well, but if you ask me to really think about it too hard, I will have to say that "ideal" seems to to describe some hoped-for state of affairs that probably cannot be achieved easily, whereas "perfect" applies more to something that already exists and that strikes me as being just right:

"That is the perfect sunset!"
"Ooooh, that was the perfect comeback for that twerp!"
"This is the perfect place for us to live and raise kids."
"This pie is absolute perfection."

BUT--

"An ideal education would include total immersion in a foreign language for all five year olds."

"In my ideal life, I would have perfect health, great wealth, be a generous philanthropist, be able to effect world peace, and have an unlimited supply of well-mannered golden retrievers."

"My ideal house would be self-cleaning."

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, wordmatic, you tend to agree with my friend. You see, I don't ever think anything is really "perfect," though I suppose I'd say the "perfect day" or the "perfect sunset." However, intellectually I know there is no "perfect day" or "sunset."