Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musterbation Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have you ever heard the term "musterbation" before? I learned it from a speaker today who said it was coined by a psychologist, Albert Ellis. I found this link about it.

quote:
ELLIS: Right. We're born gullible to our parents, influenceable, teachable, in the first place. Therefore we stupidly listen to our parents, but then we invent many musts, shoulds, oughts, demands, commands, in addition to the standards, the values, that we adopt from our parents. But the standards don't upset us. We mainly upset ourselves with those Jehovan commands.

MISHLOVE: You've used the term -- I think you must have coined it -- "musterbation."

ELLIS: Right. "Masturbation is good and delicious, but musterbation is evil and pernicious," is one of my sayings.

MISHLOVE: Musterbation is when we tell ourselves, "I must do this," or, "Things must be this way," even though they're not.

ELLIS: Right. The three main musts are "I must do well or I'm no good," "You, you louse, must treat me well or your'e worthless and deserve to roast in hell," and "The world must give me exactly what I want, precisely what I want, or it's a horrible, awful place."

MISHLOVE: It would be awful.

ELLIS: It would be terrible, right. Because of the must. If you didn't musterbate, then you wouldn't awfulize, terribilize, catastrophize, say "I can't stand it," and put yourself down. If you only stuck with, "I'd like very much to do well, but I never have to," you wouldn't then disturb yourself.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just done a Google search for the word. Amusingly, half the results on the first page are misspellings of "masturbation"! The other results all refer directly to Albert Ellis, so I think it's safe to say that it's his own special term.

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad to say I've read more about Ellis than from Ellis. I'd not heard the term, but I find it interesting insofar as I reject the premise of masturbation as being defilement.

"Onansim" used to be a common synonym, but used incorrectly, I think, since the story of Onan seems to indicate that he pulled out before ejaculating rather than wanking.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post