Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorites Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is a discussion about "favorite words." I can't think of one that I like more than others. Can you?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Proof. Some are real common (wistful. Others aren't in proper dictionaries: hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian. But of these, I guess I'd have to say kerfuffle wins. I've always loved that word.

I see that epicaricacy was surprisingly missing. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favourites have fewer than five letters and are pre-1066.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
My favourites have fewer than five letters and are pre-1066.

I imagine most have only four letters?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So Geoffrey, "favourites?" Is that how you always spell it? It reminds me of z who used to say "in hospital" or "at university." Perhaps we're all England Wannabes. Wink

posted Hide Post
1. Serendipity. From: Serendip (Ceylon/Sri Lanka) Never been there, though.

2. Saanich. (A city in British Columbia.) Never been there either. Frown

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
So Geoffrey, "favourites?" Is that how you always spell it?
That was meant as ironic humo(u)r. Nobody understood, alas. As for which of the four humo(u)rs, I leave it to you to discern.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Mine are
Hunker
Spelt
Found

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Those are your favorite words? Found? Tell us why.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Well those are just a few. 'Favorite words' - words taken out of contsxt - for me are like art objects: suggestive of images, having echoes of other words & meanings - in short, words that make me feel like using them in a poem. 'Hunker' used to be great that way, surprising also, due to rare use. By end-20thc. every poet worth salt had used it at least once. I like 'spelt' because of its oddness & possible punniness (wheat, 'spelled'), possible rhymes, & general attraction to short words with closed endings for poetry. I love 'found' because it has those qualities while also possessing rich meaning & echoes of other suggestive words like sound/ soundings, zounds, bound, round, pound etc - they all suggest depth or shape or direction.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Found" is also found in foundries. IIRC, it's also a British near synonym to Lousiana creole, "lagniappe." Ah, now there's a sweetly-disposed word! Not a mean meaning in it!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, that makes sense, Bethree, and really gives me another way to look at favorite words.

Our kids' high school holds a musical every year called "Lagniappe" If you click that link and the the "Learn about New Trier's Lagniappe-Potpourri 70 plus year tradition" you see that it started as "Lagniappe," then in the 70s seemed to have morphed to "Potpourri" and then to "Lagniappe-Potpourri."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
What happened between 1971-1972? Did the school staff decide they didn't like Louisiana creole and opted for a proper French word? Maybe "mélange" next year?

posted Hide Post
"There are anticlimaxes; but the reader forgives them indulgently; he is well enough nourished, all the more so since there is all that wonderful assonant humor and derision in mid-panel: indeed, not infrequently the true climaxes come in the penultimate panel, and the rest is lagniappe."

from William F Buckley's introduction to "Doonesbury's Greatest Hits"

posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, Buckley. I used to watch him on PBS when he had his show on it years ago. I owe much of my vocabulary to him.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I owe much of my vocabulary to him.

As do I to Jimmy Durante.

posted Hide Post
You knew Mrs Calabash? Where was she?

<Proofreader>
posted
I assume she's pushing up daisies somewhere.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As you know, there were often debates between Noam Chomsky and William F. Buckley. Here is a short clip of Chomsky's thoughts on the death of Buckley. He was really quite honest ( E.g., "Some think he was witty, not me of course..."). However, I was intrigued with his thoughts about the real meaning of "conservatism." Geoff, I believe he agrees with you on that. At any rate, he said by today's standards Buckley was really quite moderate.