Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

statute mile Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have always called it a mile. However, recently when reading the author compared a nautical mile to a statute mile, which I find is our normal mile. How did that name come about?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
The statute mile was defined by an English Act of Parliament (hence the name) in 1592, during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I; it is equal to 1,760 yards (5,280 feet). (link)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Here is your nautical mile and some other esoteric measurements.

I'm trying to track down a measurement called a statue mile. It is a distance used during the Napoleonic era and designated as "the distance a team of horses can pull a forty-foot-tall granite figure of The Emperor in one hour." Apparently it was not very consistent since the distance varied depending on whether the statue was pulled on its back or its front. When pulled on the back, it moved smoothly. But when pulled on the front, a male appendage would dig a furrow in the surface, slowing movement considerably.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to me that a knot is a commonly used distance measurement that's not a metric measurement, but is based on a natural geographic measurement. I wonder why the knot didn't define the metric system.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
At sea, nautical measurements work while metric does knot.

posted Hide Post
That's a stellar observation, Proof! Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
The sky's the limit.

posted Hide Post
Do the skinheads, AKA Aryan Nations nutballs measure in Knotzis?

<Proofreader>
posted
I think knot, although I'v heard their favorite flower is knotsurtiums.

posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah, those were the flowers Mel Brooks used in "The Producers" in the "Springtime for Hitler" song and dance number. Roll Eyes