Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blimp Login/Join

Picture of Graham Nice
posted
I am sure that blimp, meaning airship, has an interesting etymology, but I have forgotten it. Does anybody know it?

I ask becuase my wife described herself as looking like a blimp wearing a tent yesterday. I disagreed with her, naturally, over the sentiment, but we agreed that blimp was a nice word.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
One article I found was at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blimp
quote:
The term 'blimp' is reportedly onomatopoeic, the sound the airship makes when one taps the envelope (balloon) with a finger. Although there is some disagreement among historians, credit for coining the term is usually given to Lt. A.D. Conningham of the British Royal Navy in 1915.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I disagreed with her, naturally, over the sentiment, but we agreed that blimp was a nice word.
Awww, what a nice husband! Smile We women often fish for compliments and/or the truth by criticizing ourselves. I will ask my husband, "does this make me look too fat?" I think my point is to allow him the chance to be honest without looking like he's critical, but I don't know for sure! Wink

Do you Brits know about our famous "Goodyear Blimp?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'd also heard that since it's a non-rigid airship, the name derived from its being, when deflated, a "baloon, limp," which was shortened to "blimp."

The name is as etymologically ambiguous as "Jeep," several renderings of which I have heard. Now what I'd like to know is where the assinine moniker, "SUV" came from. While some say it's "Sport Utility Vehicle, " I NEVER see one of them doing anything other than hauling non-sporting types to the grocery store, so forget the "Sport" bit! "Jeep clone," yes, but why "SUV?"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Digging up this old thread to answer the late Asa Lovejoy's query above regarding "SUV:" Crosley, the maker of everything from radios to refrigerators to WWII proximity fuses to, finally, cars, coined the term in 1947
http://crosleyautoclub.com/Crosley_Firsts.html
Now, Asa, you old wretch, you can RIP!

PS: What's become of Graham?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS: What's become of Graham?
Ah well, what has happened to a lot of posters. People come and go, though we do have a nice core of people. I think life just changes.

Asa was one of our original people, but you've taken over for him quite well. Still, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Asa.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
you've taken over for him quite well.

Well enough, but I preferred Asa. Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Crosley, the maker of everything from radios to refrigerators to WWII proximity fuses to, finally, cars, coined the term in 1947

Looks like a station wagon to me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post