Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    It's probably me, but ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's probably me, but ... Login/Join

posted
It's probably me, but ... I'm in a quandary.

A while ago CJ said, "As I say, it's probably me".

I know it's techically bad grammar, but it sounds right, darn it. It would sound terribly stilted to say, "It's probably I."

Or so it seems to me -- but then again, it's probably just me. How would others handle this?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
If I recall, and I don't have one in front of me, "it's me" is becoming more acceptable in style manuals. It is not in our style manual, and I don't have another one here at work.

However, what sometimes confuses me is the "it is just I (or me)" or "it is probably I (or me)." In these cases, I confuse it with being similar to "it is between me and you." What parts of speech are "just" and "probably?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>I know it's techically bad grammar

not really; it's idiomatic, and acceptable in all but the most formal circumstances.

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsuwm:
not really; it's idiomatic, and acceptable in all but the most formal circumstances.

Quite right. For example, if I were speaking to Britney Spears I might say "Maybe it's just me but I'd like to dip you naked into a tub of hot chocolate and then say to hell with my diet!" On the other hand, if I were addressing the Queen of England, the statement would of course begin with "Perhaps it is just I..."

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You know CJ...sometimes you are one sick puppy.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Perhaps somebody should write a book full of examples of good and bad Englsih, illustrated with inappropriate examples.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You know, Graham, that isn't a bad idea at all. I can only think that kids would remember the grammar intricacies better if they had fun examples.

CJ, add this to your list of rewrites, after the OED is finished.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
You know CJ...sometimes you are one sick puppy.

Not at all. In this country, making love to your monarch is pretty much the only way a guy could have sex with a queen and still maintain his heterosexuality. Seems like a worthy goal, no?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
(Whispering) C.J., It's probably me but ... I suspect that the "sickness" that Bob commented on was the other part .... the chocolate-covered edible morsel.

By the way, has anyone thought of issuing a decree that says "me" is sometimes okay as the nominative form of the first-person pronoun, as in "It's me," and "I" is sometimes okay as the objective case, as in "He gave it to Shufitz and I" ?????????

Seems like such a decree is in order, and would help many users of our language to avoid anxiety and guilt.

..... or is it just me?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are the rules for pronouns after 'than'? Is it 'than I' or 'than me'?

posted Hide Post
The rule of thumb I use is to simply complete the thought. If choosing between "He's a better speller than I" and "He's a better speller than me," I go with the first choice since the complete thought is "He is a better speller than I am."