Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hashtag Login/Join

posted
Since I don't own any fancy technology, I'm at a loss to understand what people mean by this term. I know that hash is chopped meat and potatoes, derived from the French word for "chop," and tag is German for day. So what does chopped meat and potatoes day in Europe have to do with yuppie electronics? Is there any reasonable etymology for the term?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The # symbol is sometimes called "hash mark" or "hash sign", probably from "hatch" because it looks like hatching.

"tag" is a label, a way of grouping things into categories.

"hashtag" is a tag proceeded by # on the twitter. I don't know why # was used for this.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great question, Geoff. I have always wondered about that as well. Interestingly, when I put "internet terms" or "Web terms" into Google, I get a lot of glossaries, but none of them had "hashtag."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put just pain old "hash" into Google and it ignored my request, substituting "hashtag." I had to enter "hash recipes" to get "hash." Why is that? Is Google trying to control my mind? Should I be wearing an aluminum foil cap to stop the thought control rays?

How come the "#" symbol is called "the pound sign" by the robot I talk to when I call my bank? Right now I'm all for pounding hashtags and making hash of pound signs. Gimmie back language that I can understand!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's an alternative name. Combining this and the obscenicon topic, see the comments to this Language Log post.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keith Houston's excellent book Shady Characters has a chapter on the # sign and its many names.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great book, Goofy. I am going to buy it.

posted Hide Post
Indeed it does appeal. I'll order it. Thanks, Goofy.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Keith Houston's excellent book Shady Characters has a chapter on the # sign and its many names.

I was third in line for this book at the local library. Finally hit the jackpot and it is all as Goofy says.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I got it for Shu for Hanukkah, and he loves it, too.