Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    What is your word for 2015?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your word for 2015? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Mary Schmich, in the Chicago Tribune, wrote a column about a woman who chooses one word annually to help her steer through the year ahead. Last year it was "acceptance," and this year it will be "completion." Others proposed where "courage," "health," "patience," "perseverance," and "change."

Any thoughts on what your 2015 word would be?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay - I'll answer:

Global

I am going to try to understand the global community better - and not be so insular.

posted Hide Post
Mine is "tolerance", but my, it will be hard to live up to!

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
"Halitosis," 'cause life stinks. Smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is "tit" because I've seen so many of them lately.*

*They keep showing up at our bird feeder in unusual abundance.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's interesting...

posted Hide Post
If you want to think globally, then read, Thieves of State by Sarah Chayes and Lawrence In Arabia by Scott Anderson.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Strength - physical, mental, spiritual, financial. Maybe "health" is a better word, but I've done that before and it's always disappointing because I'm never pleased because there are so many health things I can't control. Strength, however, I can work on and measure even when outside forces are making it challenging.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I hope the word for 2015 would be "cooperation" but that may be too much to ask from government.

By the way, if you don't like the president, or any other politicians, be grateful you don't live in Turkey. At least you can mock them here. A former Miss Turkey is under indictment in her home country for "insulting the president" in a blog and faces ten years in jail.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least you can mock them here.

Just ask ex-mayor Giuliani .

posted Hide Post
Giuliani never read King Lear.

<Proofreader>
posted
John Stewart did a segment on Guiliani in which he showed his latest rant about "Obama is trying to transform and change our country." He juxtaposed it against Guiliani's inaugural speech as mayor where he promised to "transform" New York. I guess it depends on who is doing the transformation.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Giuliani never read King Lear.
Hate to out myself in such a well-read crowd but I didn't read it either! Over the decades I've caught up with many great works written in English (to compensate for education focused on French, Spanish, Latin American authors)-- but yikes I've still not gotten beyond the high-school level Shakespeare plays Red Face

Back to King Lear & Giuliani: is the connection that the Shakespeare character eventually went mad?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Shakespeare is over-rated. Now, Stephen King....

posted Hide Post
The Lear reference is to his three daughters, two of whom professed great love for him, but sold him out when it was convenient. The third, who didn't make sycophantic expressions of love, stood by him to the point of dying for him. It's like that with too many flag wavers who are only too happy to sell the country out for a buck.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow - I do love the intellectualism on this site.