Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A new rendition of doublespeak?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new rendition of doublespeak? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
What is this nonsense the Bushies are talking, using "rendition" to mean kidnapping, flying those kidnapped to foreign countries, and "interrogating" them? I find NO dictionary that thusly defines the word.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, and I am not condoning or pardoning it, the Wikipedia has an article on suchness.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As with Zmj, without comment about the politics, the online OED has as definition 1. a. "The surrender of a place, garrison, possession, etc." and definition 1. b. "The surrender of a person."

I suppose you linguists already know this, but definition 2. is " Translation, rendering. Now U.S." I hadn't known that "rendition" can mean "translation."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hadn't known that "rendition" can mean "translation."

See this thread!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
Asa mentions another meaning of rendition. Quinion has an article on this, but I think he is mistaken, and yesterday morning I wrote to him as below. In reply, he notes that he had "what seemed to be a reliable US legal source," but is rechecking.
quote:
You may be in error when you define rendition as "transfer of individuals by extra-judicial process (kidnapping) to the USA to answer criminal charges" and extraordinary rendition as 'taking them to a country where these rules … of due process, which of course excludes torture, … do not apply.

As I understand it, 'rendition' can be perfectly lawful. It is "the return of a fugative from one state to the state where the fugative is accused or convicted of a crime"(Black's Law Dictionary) or "sending terrorist subjects to other countries to be interrogated" (audio clip here, near start).

Note that nothing says it need be unlawful (Israel, I believe, obtained by rendition its jurisdiction over Adolf Eichman), though of course can occur improperly. It can involve any countries (not necessarily to the US), and can be for questioning, i.e., interrogation. Less clearly, an 'extraordinary rendition' a transport in violation of applicable rules – regardless of whether the destination is civilized or is one given to torture.

The audio clip is interesting at the 3:00-4:00 area. It refers to "the lawful practice of renditions". The newsman claims that the ACLU claims rendition are illegal, but in fact, the ACLU quote says only that many current renditions are not meeting the legal requirements.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
See this thread!

Well, Arnie, you've caught me! Unfortunately I don't read every post here.

Sorry! Red Face

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post