Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

antilemming Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have you heard antilemming being used before? Lemming maybe, but antilemming? It was used in my book this way: "I am antilemming by nature." And clearly this person was. Both his parents were Pentecostal ministers, and he experimented with Christian mysticism, Zen meditation and Native American rituals, ending up with a synthesis that felt authentic to him.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Have you heard antilemming being used before?

Nope, but it understandable given its use and context. Did you have a problem with it?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought I knew it from the context, but wasn't sure so looked it up.

I just wondered if others have seen it used or used it.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I don't really understand what the author means...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought he could have said it a lot more simply. He meant that he was a nonconformist.

As for z's comment about about understanding what was meant by the context, too often I have thought I'd known what was meant, only to find that there was a nuance to the definition that I hadn't understood. Therefore, whenever I come across a word I am not familiar with, I always look it up.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It could mean that he wasn't a suicidal type, referring to the urban legend about lemmings throwing themselves off cliffs.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Therein lies the nuance I mentioned above.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see. It was the suicidal aspect that left me scratching my head. I'd forgotten that of course they do it because 'everyone else is doing it'. I agree, Kalleh, when in doubt look it up.

Don't hear much about lemmings these days...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post