Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two questions Login/Join

posted
Hello

I have two questions that are not related to one another in any way.

Why is today's AWAD word of the day, 'antaean', not in the OED?

I have a vague memory of a word, possibly beginning with 'd', that means 'term of endearment' or 'nickname' or something like that. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Thanks

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Welcome, anycon.

I wish I could answer your questions but will need to research a bit first.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could the "d" word be "diminutive", used as a noun? Not precisely the meanings you give but can be bent into them. "Nickname" is the closer of the two, and as for "term of endearment," we sometimes use diminutives as a show of fondness if not affection.

I've heard of Antaean,, but have no access to OED as a ready reference. How did you ever find out that the word isn't in it!?

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The word is in both Merriam-Webster Online, but AHD lists it only as an allusion. And to my suprise you're correct: OED doesn't have it at all.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
I don't get AWAD words, so maybe I'm just repeating what they're saying, but it is surprising the OED haven't picked it up, as there are several uses in older writers.

A web search throws up mostly rubbish, or people who've discovered the new word and are using it as a plaything, but these are bona fide:

Long before the Roman Church, (that new sect, as Claude Bishop of Turin in 840, called it) stretched forth its arms to stifle in its Antaean embrace the independent flocks of the great Shepherd, the ancestors of the Waldenses were worshipping God in the hill countries of Piedmont.
- Dr William Stephen Gilly (1789-1855)

The old Antaean fable of strength renewed from the ground
Was a human truth for the ages
- Sharlot Mabdrith Hall (1870-1943)

She feels the old Antaean strength
In you, the great dynamic beat
Of primal passions
- James Weldon Johnson (1871-1938)

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't know why it isn't in OED, though we have found that some very fine words aren't there, haven't we wordcrafters? Wink

While I have no idea as to the answers to either of your questions, I want to welcome you, anycon! Smile Wink Big Grin Cool We have a lot of fun here, learn a bit, and would love to have you posting with us. Oftentimes newbies come for one or two posts and then disappear.

By the way, what is the significance of your name?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anycon:

I have a vague memory of a word, possibly beginning with 'd', that means 'term of endearment' or 'nickname' or something like that. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Ducky?

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quack, quack...

Dear

Dearie

Dumbo?

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Hypocorism?

You did say only "possibly" beginning with D...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And, then, of course the obvious...darling, but I think not.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Arnie, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea why I thought it began with a 'd' though. And it is indeed curious that the OED does not list 'antaean'. They either missed it completely (possible but unlikely) or made a conscious decision not to include it (still unlikely but I always thought the OED was the comprehensive dictionary so I'm more in favour of this explanation).

Significance of name? All I can tell you is that it has nothing to do with what would appear to be the two constituent words, 'any' and 'con'. I'm not conning anyone.