Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

graip Login/Join

posted
I often use one-look, but rarely look at the word-a-day that appears on its homepage. Today I did happen to look there, and found an interesting word.
    graip - a pitchfork used for hurling manure
I wonder how one-look goes about selecting its daily word? The site adds, "This is a OneLook Word of the Day, which means it might be in the news," but the news-link it gives reveals no hits.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
According to Onelook:
quote:
Every hour a computer program selects five words that get an unusually large number of searches on our site. These words tend to reflect topics that have appeared in the world news or in discussion groups across the Web. Each morning the top word is featured as the Word of the Day on our home page.

In other words, several more searches for "graip" than usual have been made recently. The most likely reason is that the word has been used somewhere like the news and people are coming to Onelook to look up the meaning. Or perhaps it's been used in a popular crossword puzzle or the like?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was raised on a farm, but I don't recall that word being used. There are 21,800 cites for it on Google, though we all know that doesn't mean much.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are 21,800 cites for it on Google
It drops to only 904 if you set your Google preferences to "English only"; only 403 of them are "non-similar to those already displayed"; and many of those are not on point. So it's quite a rare word.

A major portion of ghits seem to indicate that 'graip' can also mean a spading fork, as for the digging of potatos.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post