Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neoliberal Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've seen this term cropping up recently, and it seems to mean about the same thing as "neocon." Am I missing something?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, I haven't heard it before, but I see your point. In reading Wikipedia this comment struck me: "In many respects, the term is used to denote a group of neoclassical-influenced economic theories, right-wing libertarian political philosophies, and political rhetoric that portrayed government control over the economy as inefficient, corrupt or otherwise undesirable." Is the focus with neoliberalism more on economics than that with neoconservatism? What is the difference?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It looks like laissez-faire economics to me, but I'm too confused to know at this point!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
"In many respects, the term is used to denote a group of neoclassical-influenced economic theories, right-wing libertarian political philosophies, and political rhetoric that portrayed government control over the economy as inefficient, corrupt or otherwise undesirable."

I'd call it pompous and overblown gobbledygook myself.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to read about the comparison of neoliberals and neoconservations. From what I've read, the terms are nearly identical to liberals and conservatives, respectively. I've never really thought there was much difference between neocons and conservatives anyway. I did find this very cynical site, comparing liberals with conservatives, neocons with neolibs and Republicans with Democrats...and finding no differences.

posted Hide Post
K, thank you for that link, I have ensconced it amongst my Faves. I gather, however, that weebies' definitions are colored somewhat by his right-wing tendencies

I am stilll interested in a term for someone who is fiscally conservative but socially liberal, like Arnold (or like he was before he caved in somewhat to the blue contingent. I guess he decided it was the only way to accomplish anything at all since we're in the majority out here in La-La Land)

I realize that one of the classic terms for the Terminator is Libertarian, but this word has been corrupted

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am stilll interested in a term for someone who is fiscally conservative but socially liberal

How about "unelectable"?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gather, however, that weebies' definitions are colored somewhat by his right-wing tendencies
Not sure I agree, Dale, at least from that one page. He seemed quite even in his criticism. Even though you, Dale, don't seem to like that word "Libertarian," that's probably the best political description of weebies.
quote:
How about "unelectable"?
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
K: Much truth in "unelectable" comment which accounts for the genrally partisan and in many cases incompetent nature of the typical pol. However, I still say the wording of that link shows a strong Red tendency, read it again and see if you don't agree

Nonetheless it's a valuable summary of pol descriptions and as I said I have Faved it