Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What condition? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm constantly hearing people say that someone has "a heart condition." This seems silly to me. Since the word means, "a state of being," the phrase omits stating WHAT condition. Does this seem absurd, or is it only my poor mental condition that finds it so? Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
heart condition

The A-H Dictionary lists a whole bunch of definitions for condition (link). Number 3 looks like the pertinent one.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, so I suppose it is used correctly from a linguistic point of view. However, from a medical point of view, it's almost useless because it is so broad.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
from a medical point of view

Cancer is a word that was rather vague a half a millennium ago, as was the vapors back in the century before last, but as with most language, these words mean something to the people who use them, even if they are hypochondriacal as all get out.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
As Kalleh said, it seems so utterly vague as to be nonsense to me.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It means something along the lines: "John is not a well man. It's something to do with his heart."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A similar, vague. phrase is heart problem.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
We live in a world of information gluttony. How is it any less vague to me, the man in the cube, to know that "John has been diagnosed with arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia and not myocarditis? Ask somebody the time, and they'll tell you down to the minute. Nobody uses round divisions like a quarter past five; instead, they say "It's 5:13". On a language note, after our crash course in cardiac diseases, maybe we could learn how to use the IPA.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
The IPA--that's a supermarket, right? Big Grin

Asa, I think this expression is comparable to "We have a situation here," or "He has issues with that." It's a hinting, tantalizing kind of remark to make. You immediately have to know more. Somehow, I think, it's so much easier to impart gossip of a medical or political nature with a juicy, vague lead-in using words that only hint at the worst. That's one of the reasons for vague euphemisms to exist.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe we could learn how to use the IPA

I'm up for it. I think we should start an IPA forum, and a thread for each symbol. In the thread we could discuss the sound itself, how it's produced, how to input the symbol into text, examples in English, examples in other languages, confusions with other phonemes, etc.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea. Are there links to any little MP3 files where we could actually listen to the pronunciations?

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I think we should start an IPA forum

I'll confab with the other admins and get back to youse. Might just make it a technical forum.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
All that for India Pale Ale? Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had to think about that, too, Asa. Wink

I would so much like to learn about IPA. I think it's a grand idea.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nobody uses round divisions like a quarter past five; instead, they say "It's 5:13"

Surely it depends on whether or not the person asked wears a traditional analogue watch (as do some older people) a digital watch (as do some younger people) or no watch at all (as is the case with many teenagers - who tend to use their mobile 'phone or other multi-function electronic device).

By the way, it's just before 0825 as I write (or 8.25 am for those who prefer the 12-hour clock).

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post