Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Honey, I'm sorry! Please don't throw that... that... ...Damn!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honey, I'm sorry! Please don't throw that... that... ...Damn! Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted

Question:
This question was touched on some time ago but I'd like to put it into the form of a poll. The life of a limerick what never done no one no harm hinges on your response. The question is simple:

How do you pronounce the word "vase"?

Choices:
vace
vaze
vahz
flowerpot
something else (and if so, what)

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
3 votes so far and two are for vahz - one of those is me, I'd guess the other one is also English. Would I be right?

I can't see how that poor little limerick will suffer though. Isn't this what you have author's pronunciation notes for?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but my choice wasn't on the list. I pronounce it vahz or vace depending on mood or whim.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think either (and you may pronounce that two ways also!) is easily recognized, but I usually pronounce it, "beer bottle," but occasionally "Gallo rotgut bottle." Oh, and "bottle" is "bah -L," not "bahtl." I do hope this helps to de-obfuscate things a bit! ;-)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris J. Strolin: Choices: vace vaze vahz
Add the proper Bostonienne's vaws to the list! Big Grin

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am the typical midwesterner, with my "vace."

However, last week we had one of our committees in, with a Bostonian among the crew. Not only do they say "dater" and "ide-er," but they also say "yearer." At our annual meeting a Bostonian by the name of "Rula" ran for office, with what she considered a really smart campaign motto: "Rula is cooler." Little did she know that we aren't all Bostonians.

Oh, she lost.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
3 votes so far and two are for vahz - one of those is me, I'd guess the other one is also English. Would I be right?

Not quite. Canadian, although I must confess that I was born in England to English parents. My accent is pretty much 100% Canadian though (having emigrated when I was 2), and even my parent's accents have moved to be pretty much mid-Atlantic now.

Posts: 38 | Location: Brampton, Ontario, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigg:
[Not quite. Canadian, although I must confess that I was born in England to English parents. My accent is pretty much 100% Canadian though (having emigrated when I was 2), and even my parent's accents have moved to be pretty much mid-Atlantic now.

Of course as everyone knows the thing about Canadians is that Americans think they sound English while the English think they sound American.
Except when they sound French of course.

Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Odd. I "voted" for "vahz" as well. That makes three, but only two votes are showing. Either one of us made a mistake voting, or there's something wrong with the software.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to have confused everyone. Chris did the same poll in the OEDILF. I must have voted in that one and not this one...

I will vote now.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, your description of the Canadian accent is so funny. I had a telephone conference once with all these bigwigs in medicine. I'm always curious about accents so I asked this one physician if he was from Canada. Hoooo! Was he insulted! After a dead silence, he said, "No, I am from London!" The fact is, I hadn't trusted my ear. He really did sound English, but I was thinking that Canada was so much closer.

Now, I must go look up "bigwig" to see how that slang word developed... Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I'm always curious about accents so I asked this one physician if he was from Canada. Hoooo! Was he insulted! After a dead silence, he said, "No, I am from London!"

You probably could have sent him over the edge if you had asked him "London, Ontario?"

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
We used to have this discussion when I was little. My neighbours came from Bristol and said Vaze. My friend's mum was from Canada and said Vase. We all said Vahz, while my Grandmother was Cornish and said Vawze,

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Bob said "Of course as everyone knows the thing about Canadians is that Americans think they sound English while the English think they sound American.
Except when they sound French of course."

I always think Canadians sound like Minnesotans . . . or is it the other way around? But I LOVE to hear the Fr. Canadians talk - yummy!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post