Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    How do you say, "croissant?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you say, "croissant?" Login/Join

posted
I don't think I've ever heard an Amerracun say croissant the way its originators do. It seems we can't get our tongues or brains around the "roi" pronunciation, yet this site http://dictionary.cambridge.or...on/english/croissant gives both UK and Amerracun pronunciations as being very close to the French original. Do any of you ever hear anything other than this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKlvfXixQm4

Posts: 4440 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say it the way she does in the video. I don't particularly like them so I don't use the word often.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am close to the way she says it, but I might not use quite as much stress on the second syllable. I am not sure. I find it hard to hear exactly how I say it. Have you ever noticed when you hear your recorded voice that it doesn't sound the way you hear it as you say it?

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I pronounce it like the dictionary for U.S. But I thought the U.K. pronunciation absolutely weird. Is that how you pronounce it in England? Goofy, what about Canada?

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The US and UK pronunciations sound almost the same except for the stress.

I say /krəˈsɑnt/ like the youtube video Geoff links to.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think most of us pronounce it similarly to the original French, although I have heard the word pronounced like "cross-ont" with the letter "t" pronounced.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't pronounce the t, but maybe I should?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought I remembered talking about this before here or here.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
croissant

I pretty much pronounce it [kʁwa.sɑ̃]. Or perhaps [kwasã] in American General. I have never heard before the other pronunciations in the wild.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see you again, Z.

Posts: 4440 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, long time, no see, Z! I hope all is well in beautiful California.

Interesting that you pronounce it with kw. I am going to have to listen to how others pronounce it now because I am not sure I've heard it that way.