Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingle Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am in Orlando at a conference, staying at the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel, and I've been trying to figure out how the word "shingle" fits in. Of course, I think of what roofs are made of. However, I see that shingles can also be a mass of small rounded pebbles found on a seashore. That still doesn't fit really because there's no body of water in Orlando. I think I'll have to ask - probably the owner is named Jeff Shingle or something. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe named for a virus? Roll Eyes

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Or maybe while drunk he was asked his marital status.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Wiki[edia is your friend:

Shingle Creek is a small waterway in central Florida that is generally considered to be the northernmost headwaters of the Everglades watershed. It is named after the cypress trees that lined the bank in the late 19th century, which were used to make wood shingles. The stream and surrounding areas are protected wetlands.

YMMV, as their is no citation for that assertions, but it works for me. You might call the local library and ask a reference librarian.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:

YMMV
Isn't that the ancient Hebrew name of their god? As for reference librarians, I'm married to one, and she's always asking ME things! Stuff like, "Did you mow the back yard? " "Did you ad salt to the water softener" "Did you walk the dogs?" etc... Wink

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel

History of the Name

In the early 1800s settlers would log cypress trees down the creek and use them to make shingles for the roofs of the settlers’ homes. Thus, the settlers gave the creek its name “Shingle Creek.” One of the first settlements in the region was called Shingle Creek and was located east of the Shingle Creek waterway. Shingle Creek is known as the headwaters to the Florida Everglades. In 1840, a trading post opened near Shingle Mill at the low water crossing point on Shingle Creek, which is a stone’s throw away from the hotel. It is Rosen Shingle Creek’s intent to bring back the old Florida Frontier.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Which is also the origin of the adage "Up the creek without a shingle."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did know about the Shingle Creek reference (maybe found out after I posted this), but then of course it would be the same question - why Shingle Creek? So thank you both, Tinman and Z, for that answer.

I also learned from this question how the term "shingles" came to be used for a herpes zoster affliction. They look like little pebbles .

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In the UK we only use "shingle" in the "small pebbles" sense. We don't generally use wooden tiles.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What are your roofs (seems like it should be rooves) made of?