Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tall drink of water Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My dad always used to use the phrase "a tall drink of water" to describe someone tall and thin. Do you think it just developed because of the metaphor of looking like a tall, thin glass? Or is there more to it? I couldn't find much about the origin of it on the Web, and yet maybe it's a no brainer?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You asked that same question 6 years ago.
Here's what I found:

Tall drink of water

quote:
The term exists in two forms: long drink of water and tall drink of water. Most dictionaries do not have the expression and no dictionary I checked has any speculation about the etymology of the term. The Historical Dictionary of American Slang defines the term as "a tall man" and has a first citation of 1936, but with minimal effort I've been able to antedate it possibly to 1904, though it's not a strict use of it in metaphor:

1904 Daily Huron (South Dakota) "Makes a Big Hit" (May 7) p. 3: Then there is baby Patti, who is not much larger than a long drink of water and who is a marvel for a child.

The earliest for certain citation I have is this.

1924 Times (London, England) "The Speaker Defied" (May 10) p. 12: Mr. Kirkwood addressed his reproof to Lord Winterton, who, along with his colleagues, had protested against the defiance of the speaker's ruling. "Ye are not treating with Indians, ye big long drink of water," he shouted. Immediately the Speaker reproved the member for Dumbarton.

Another newspaper that quoted the same thing indicates that the speaker, Kirkwood, is a Scottish Labor party member, as also indicated by the "ye." There's nothing about the expression in the Dictionary of Scots Language.
posted by Mo Nickels at 5:20 PM on August 14, 2006

quote:
In Scotland, a long drink of water is an ineffectual, gormless, glaikit person.
posted by the cuban at 9:01 AM on August 15, 2006

From the OED Online under drink

colloq. and humorous (orig. U.S.) long (also tall) drink of water and variants: a tall, slim, long-limbed person. In early use chiefly mildly derogatory, suggesting a lack of strength, vitality, distinctive character, etc. Later also used appreciatively, esp. in the form long cool drink of water.

1913    Technol. Rev. Nov. 670   Harry Waterfall, that long drink of water, built much like the ‘sec.’, has left the employ of the Wm. Cramp & Sons Ship and Engine Building Company.

1920    R. W. Ritchie Trails to Two Moons 183   A-Long-Drink-of-Water, the town denominated this pale, rather sickly young man.

1939    D. Stote Men too wear Clothes iii. 39   A vest with long-ish ends with the points rather wide apart will make a broad line that helps to take away that long-drink-of-water suggestion.

1963    Billboard 14 Sept. 13/2   Ruth Gillis, a tall drink of water with an excellent voice and delivery, is also a delight.

1983    P. Gzowski Unbroken Line iv. 214   The horseman in charge at Fox Run was..a long, cool drink of water.

1996    C. Brookmyre Quite Ugly One Morning viii. 48   Miserable-looking sod called McGregor and a big drink of water named Gow.

2007    Wall St. Jrnl. 27 Mar. d7/2   In build, he's a long drink of water.

Urban Dictionary
quote:
Tall drink of water

n. 1. A man or woman that is tall, gorgeous, and super delicious. Like on a hot day, a tall drink of water is absolutely appealing.

2. Old slang for a visually appealing man or woman.
Would you look at hunky man? He is one tall drink of water. I could drink that RIGHT up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
You asked that same question 6 years ago.
Here's what I found:

Tall drink of water

quote:
The term exists in two forms: long drink of water and tall drink of water. Most dictionaries do not have the expression and no dictionary I checked has any speculation about the etymology of the term. The Historical Dictionary of American Slang defines the term as "a tall man" and has a first citation of 1936, but with minimal effort I've been able to antedate it possibly to 1904, though it's not a strict use of it in metaphor:

1904 Daily Huron (South Dakota) "Makes a Big Hit" (May 7) p. 3: Then there is baby Patti, who is not much larger than a long drink of water and who is a marvel for a child.

The earliest for certain citation I have is this.

1924 Times (London, England) "The Speaker Defied" (May 10) p. 12: Mr. Kirkwood addressed his reproof to Lord Winterton, who, along with his colleagues, had protested against the defiance of the speaker's ruling. "Ye are not treating with Indians, ye big long drink of water," he shouted. Immediately the Speaker reproved the member for Dumbarton.

Another newspaper that quoted the same thing indicates that the speaker, Kirkwood, is a Scottish Labor party member, as also indicated by the "ye." There's nothing about the expression in the Dictionary of Scots Language.
posted by Mo Nickels at 5:20 PM on August 14, 2006

quote:
In Scotland, a long drink of water is an ineffectual, gormless, glaikit person.
posted by the cuban at 9:01 AM on August 15, 2006

From the OED Online under drink

colloq. and humorous (orig. U.S.) long (also tall) drink of water and variants: a tall, slim, long-limbed person. In early use chiefly mildly derogatory, suggesting a lack of strength, vitality, distinctive character, etc. Later also used appreciatively, esp. in the form long cool drink of water.

1913    Technol. Rev. Nov. 670   Harry Waterfall, that long drink of water, built much like the ‘sec.’, has left the employ of the Wm. Cramp & Sons Ship and Engine Building Company.

1920    R. W. Ritchie Trails to Two Moons 183   A-Long-Drink-of-Water, the town denominated this pale, rather sickly young man.

1939    D. Stote Men too wear Clothes iii. 39   A vest with long-ish ends with the points rather wide apart will make a broad line that helps to take away that long-drink-of-water suggestion.

1963    Billboard 14 Sept. 13/2   Ruth Gillis, a tall drink of water with an excellent voice and delivery, is also a delight.

1983    P. Gzowski Unbroken Line iv. 214   The horseman in charge at Fox Run was..a long, cool drink of water.

1996    C. Brookmyre Quite Ugly One Morning viii. 48   Miserable-looking sod called McGregor and a big drink of water named Gow.

2007    Wall St. Jrnl. 27 Mar. d7/2   In build, he's a long drink of water.

Urban Dictionary
quote:
Tall drink of water

n. 1. A man or woman that is tall, gorgeous, and super delicious. Like on a hot day, a tall drink of water is absolutely appealing.

2. Old slang for a visually appealing man or woman.
Would you look at hunky man? He is one tall drink of water. I could drink that RIGHT up.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post