Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Come to Jesus" meeting? Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
I heard my boss use this phrase to mean one of those "if this doesn't happen you'll lose your job" kind of meetings. Anyone else hear this phrase used?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's certainly a new one on me I'm afraid. I wonder where it came from and how common it is. Perhaps it's just an American thing.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it used, either, and we have plenty of that sort of meeting at work!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it's from the South . . . anyone in the US have a comment on this?

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
It means everyone needs to spill their guts, admit guilt, wrongdoing, etc. etc.... the "administration" will deal with the sinners, and the lambs will walk free.

It's really not a good thing. Proving yourself to be a lamb may be difficult... I'm betting you are not a Caterwauller in sheep's clothing. Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
For the record, I haven't heard it, either, and were the phrase were to be used in my workplace, I think people would complain.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard it, either. This site says it's "microwave slang," which, I guess, is computer slang of some sort.
quote:
Come to Jesus meeting
This saying originated in the religious camps on the New Jersey shore in the 19th century, such as the community of Ocean Grove. A Come to Jesus meeting in laboratory context means a meeting in which some cold hard truth will be revealed, like a contract is about to be canceled. Similar to "going to the woodshed".

The Mavens' Word of the Day says "it was a pretty sure bet that it derived from the 1920s heyday of the Holiness movement." Evangelists would preach at camp meeting, exhorting people to "come to Jesus."
quote:
The first come-to-Jesus meetings were camp meetings where you met your Redeemer face to face--with no priest to cushion the blow of the realization that your sins were making Him go on suffering, no saints to intercede on your behalf.

I was once told that the pin that holds the rotor on a helicopter is called the "Jesus-pin."

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
All very interesting! Kalleh - why would people complain about this phrase? BEcause it refers too much to religious ideas . . . but would they object because of it's nearly blasephemous implications, or because they don't like any mention of Christianity?

Oh, and KHC? You're right - I'm not a sheep. I'm a person who, generally, admits culpability early enough to get the help I need to keep from needing to be called to a meeting of this sort. So far so good, at any rate.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
All very interesting! Kalleh - why would people complain about this phrase? BEcause it refers too much to religious ideas . . . but would they object because of it's nearly blasephemous implications, or because they don't like any mention of Christianity?

Yes and yes. At one end of the religious spectrum people would object because it's blasphemous to use such religious imagery in a non-religious context (taking the Lord's name in vain and all that) and at the other end people would object because it's a religious image (and religion is all guff, isn't it?) which they don't feel they should have to put up with when they aren't religious.

This, of course, says nothing at all about religion but an awful lot about people.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Well, right! That's what I was thinking, Bob. Which end of that spectrum would the people you work with reside? For my part, I was very surprised to hear the term used by our director, as we usually eshew any such references for one or the other (or both) reasons.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I've heard of a 'come to Jesus' meeting, but only as a southern ruralism. That is, when I heard it about three years, it was a phrase striking to my ear.

And I understand its meaning to be as KHC puts it, not as CW's boss does.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
[QUOTE]
I was once told that the pin that holds the rotor on a helicopter is called the "Jesus-pin."

Tinman

I don't know about helicopters specifically, but it's very common in most lines of mechainical repair. Any pin, screw, bolt, or clip that, should it fail, will send you to wherever you're going once you're turned into dog food is often called a "jesus (fill in the blank)."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
And then there is the grape juice punch we used to drink at fraternity parties, called "Purple Jesus" . . . for similar reasons!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:Which end of that spectrum would the people you work with reside?

It has always seemed to me that Cristianity is viewed very differently here and in general people don't make a big thing of their faith for fear of ridicule. To take an example that both sides of the Atlantic should be able to relate to, George W. Bush seems to be very proud to be a Christian man and (to us) appears to openly use this in his political life. Over here, Tony Blair is also a Christian man but the subject is avoided at all costs in his political life. I remember one interviewer asked him if he would pray about an issue and it was noticeable that Tony Blair became very awkward and avoided the question at all costs. He knew that if he admitted to anything like that he would be portrayed in the press as some kind of looney. I've never had the impression that President Bush would feel as constrained as that. Indeed, I got the impression that President Bush partly justified his war with Iraq as a just thing to do in the eyes of God (though possibly not quite that blatently). Tony Blair simply could not do that here so he could only attempt to justify the war on legal grounds.

To sum up, I get the impression that over here it is less socially acceptable to be Christian than it is in America. We just naturally assume that a 'card carrying' Christian is a bit simple. Before I go upsetting anyone here, I'd like to point out that none of what I've said here necessarily reflects my own views. It is merely a very generalised observation of the way things sometimes appear to be.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
There are circles here in the States where it is less acceptable to admit to being a believeing Christian. There are probably an equal number (or more) places where it is assumed you are Christian, and to admit otherwise would be distasteful.

So many people throw around that America was founded to provide freedom of religion, when in fact it was really started so that a group of people could decide that there was really only one right way to worship . . . it was later that the openmindedness of freedom of religion came about.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I would think that the UK, and especially England, is one of the the least religious countries in Europe. Maybe the least religious.

It is rare indeed to ask anyone about his or her religion and I have friends I have known for nigh on half a century, whose religion I have not the slightest idea of.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
To address the original question, I have heard this expresson all my life with both definitions mentioned here. The "enthusiasm" model is a reference to the interactive form that worship can take in many parts of the American south and, more increasingly, with fundamentalist churches throughout the states. When I was raised in a very staid little New England suburb, we would sit attentively in our pew and listen to the comforting drone of the sermon. Conversely, a "come to Jesus" style of service would have the pastor shouting at the congregants, most of whom might be standing and shouting back. The "come to Jesus" meeting, therefore, is one in which everyone was expected to take an active role and not just sit back to let others do all the work.

The secondary definition of "come to this meeting or risk the wrath of God" is also fairly common though I don't know just where it came from.

And, yes, GWB would very publicly name God to a Cabinet position if he thought he could get away with it.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "come to Jesus" meeting, therefore, is one in which everyone was expected to take an active role and not just sit back to let others do all the work.
We use the expression happy-clappy to describe that sort of service. Obviously, it's not used by the participants themselves. Smile Is it used over there in the US?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
happy-clappy

That is a very descriptive phrase! LOL No, people would find that a little too disrespectful. However, I'm sure many folks who disdain that sort of emotional religious experience would find it humorous and use the term!

I've heard the term "holy rollers" to describe such a Charismatic service.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doad: It has always seemed to me that Cristianity is viewed very differently here and in general people don't make a big thing of their faith for fear of ridicule. To take an example that both sides of the Atlantic should be able to relate to, George W. Bush seems to be very proud to be a Christian man and (to us) appears to openly use this in his political life. Over here, Tony Blair is also a Christian man but the subject is avoided at all costs in his political life.
I'd agree with your generality, but your example of Bush may be a bit happenstance. All of our presidents have been Christian (all but one was Protestant, in fact), but I don't recall it being a notable part of their political life, except in the cases of GWB and Carter.
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller: So many people throw around that America was founded to provide freedom of religion, when in fact it was really started so that a group of people could decide that there was really only one right way to worship.
I'd disagree with you there.

posted Hide Post
My thoughts on all of this are that a Come to Jesus meeting has very little to do with religion... it's simply a phrase which means "Let's get it all out in the open..".... Let's air out all the differences... and solve some problems.

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
All very interesting! Kalleh - why would people complain about this phrase? BEcause it refers too much to religious ideas . . .

Geez, some of these threads have gotten away from me. I suspect this has been answered, but my thought was Bob's second explanation: People don't feel as though they should have to talk about religion in the workplace. Besides that, remember, Shu and I are Jewish. The word "Jesus" goes way beyond just being religious.

I just heard a true story where a man and woman were marrying with a Rabbi and Minister performing the ceremony. The Minister had strict orders (and she agreed) not to use the word "Jesus" during the ceremony. When it came to the ceremony, half the guests were squirming when the Minister, in fact, quite overtly referred to "Jesus Christ" a number of times.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd disagree with you there.

You think the Pilgrims were open-minded?

~Dalai Lama