Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eristic Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
At a conference recently, I kept hearing the phrase, "eristic device." Looking up "erisitic", I find the AHD online definition that says "Given to or characterized by disputatious, often specious argument", but others that say, "of or pertaining to argument or controversy."

Is an erisitc generally considered one who makes "specious" arguments, or is it just one who enjoys a good argument? To me, there is a big difference.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I thought it was the stretchy stuff at the top of Japanese underwear.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Razz Roll Eyes
The person using this phrase struck me as one of the most intelligent people I have met in a long time (don't worry, Wordcrafters, I said one of the most!). Like all of us, he is very busy, but I have invited him to join our forum.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>Given to or characterized by disputatious, often specious argument.

note the key word "often" -- I don't think there's anything in the Greek root eris that lends speciouness to the argument. Smile

come to think on it, argument itself is often quite specious..

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Well, it doesn't imply "specious", but it does imply disagreeable. At root, Eris was the Greek goddess of strife, a real bitch-goddess, if you will, and her bitchiness started the Trojan War.

Eris was so disagreeable that she was the only god/goddess not invited to the wedding of Peleus and Thetis. She came anyway and was refused admittance. Furious, Eris threw a golden apple, inscribed 'To the fairest', among the guests.

You can imagine what the reaction would be. Each of several ladies present felt that she was entitled to the apple; eventually, Paris was brought in to judge the claims. Aphrodite, taking no risk, bribed the judge to ensure that she'd get the the golden apple. In return, she awarded him Helen as bride -- little concerned with the minor detail that Helen was already married -- and off ran the newlyweds to Troy. The Trojan War was fought to get Helen back.

By the way, wordcrafter, there's a eponym. Big Grin