Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    "infeasible" vs "unfeasible"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"infeasible" vs "unfeasible" Login/Join

posted
Are these straightforward alternatives, or is there a difference in meaning? I was just making a post to another forum and couldn't decide which to use.

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd say that they are straightforward alternatives with the following proviso.

In British slang "unfeasible" has taken on the additional meaning of "improbable" especially in its adverbial form "unfeasibly". We hear things like "Russel Brand has no talent but an unfeasibly bad hair cut" or "Jordan has no talent but unfeasibly large breasts."

I've never heard "infeasible" used in this way.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On this side of the pond I've not heard "infeasible" at all.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've heard both but I'd say that unfeasible seems much more common.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard both but I'd say that unfeasible seems much more common.

Ditto.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'm with Geoff on this one...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Smile

I've joined the forum just so I can tell you about my friend who used to describe things as "unfeasonable" (inadvertantly, I hasten to add.)

I loved this portmanteau term and my other friends and I immediately adopted it and bandied it about with merry abandon. It brought us much joy.

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good first post, Alphabet Soup! If something can be unreasonable, I suppose it can also be unfeasonable! Or if he's a French fashionista, something might be unfaisonable. Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome Alphabet! Now we hope you stay awhile. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Good first post, Alphabet Soup! If something can be unreasonable, I suppose it can also be unfeasonable! Or if he's a French fashionista, something might be unfaisonable. Big Grin

Hahaha! Big Grin He was no fashionista though, he was pretty mouldy really (unfraisonable, even Wink)

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
We use the word feasible in Chemistry a lot.

I always thought the opposite of feasible was simply not feasible, or non-feasible.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
According to the OED, infeasible is now (1989) rarer in use.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree with Graham. I hear not feasible, rather than in or un. We often talk about feasibility studies in research.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Of course the coinage proposed by Alphabetsoup is the humpty-dumptyish portmanteau

unfeasonable = unfeasible + unreasonable

which I love. Of course I'd love a humpty-dumpty word!

Welcome to the board btw.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Of course I'd love a humpty-dumpty word!

That's not how I'd use the term "Humpty-Dumpty word". Lewis Carroll certainly used the character of Humpty-Dumpty to introduce the idea of portmanteau words, but to me the term "Humpty-Dumpty word" refers to the character's well-known remark:

quote:
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

An example might be "democratic", used in the names of some of the least democratic countries in the world.

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Of course the coinage proposed by Alphabetsoup is the humpty-dumptyish portmanteau

unfeasonable = unfeasible + unreasonable

which I love. Of course I'd love a humpty-dumpty word!

Welcome to the board btw.

Thanks for the welcome Smile I'm glad you like 'unfeasonable', I think it's a corker.

In the interests of saying something on-topic, I'm familiar with the word 'unfeasible', it's a pretty normal word to my ears, but I hadn't heard 'infeasible' before reading this thread.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it's a corker
Interesting word, corker. My grandmother used to use it. In looking it up, it can mean either "something or someone that is astonishing or excellent" or "something that closes a discussion or settles a question." Quite a difference!

In anticipation of criticism, I know it's not perfect. However, I like to use Google to see how popular words are. Infeasible, on my computer, gets 1,950,000 citations, while unfeasible gets 1,450,000 citations.

posted Hide Post
I wonder, does this^ constitute an 'infeasibilty study'? Razz

A cursory glance at the interwebs suggests that it is we curmudgeonly Brits who object to 'infeasible' whereas it is an acceptable term to you forward thinking American types.