Wordcraft Community Home Page
Magazine title help needed

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4330018586

January 28, 2017, 09:56
Greg
Magazine title help needed
Hello, members. This is my first post.

I am looking to title a magazine, but I'm struggling with the working title I have. The magazine will appear online and in print, and it's aimed at wealthy readers who love adventure travel.

A typical reader might be worth 3 or 4 million dollars but is not your typical "gold toilet and caviar" stereotype. Instead, they use their wealth to travel to exotic locations and participate in adventure travel. Think Outside Magazine meets The Robb Report. Activities our readers might love include scuba diving with penguins, heli skiing in Nepal or racing a America's Cup yacht in training.

My working title is "Steep". I've thought of others, like Polaris or Orion, but they're taken.

My aim is to have a title that evokes speed, adventure and action. The reason I like Steep is that it's available (a real challenge) and it's a play on expensive and speedy.

My one concern is the potential connotation of being overly expensive or outlandishly overpriced. I'm concerned the more conservative advertisers, like high-end real estate people or luxury lodges, may think of Steep as such.
January 28, 2017, 11:54
<Proofreader>
If it's for the feudal lord action set, why not Crash and Burn?
January 28, 2017, 12:50
Greg
It came to mind, but actually, these are just wealthy people who actually value and enjoy our natural environment.
January 28, 2017, 14:39
Geoff
Huh? Real estate developers who enjoy our natural environment??? Not! Chuck the magazine and give your money to The Nature Conservancy. Most members are rich AND aren't out to "pave paradise and put in a parking lot.".
January 28, 2017, 18:27
BobHale
Use Latin?

Vado (Travel)
or
Abito (Go)
or
Indago (Track, spoor)
or
Aevitas (Lifetime)
etc

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
January 28, 2017, 20:08
Greg
Thanks - great ideas.

quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Use Latin?

Vado (Travel)
or
Abito (Go)
or
Indago (Track, spoor)
or
Aevitas (Lifetime)
etc

January 28, 2017, 20:10
Greg
I'm hoping this post does not become a debate about the place of the wealthy, but rather a forum where people with creative ideas about wording can help solve my problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Huh? Real estate developers who enjoy our natural environment??? Not! Chuck the magazine and give your money to The Nature Conservancy. Most members are rich AND aren't out to "pave paradise and put in a parking lot.".

January 29, 2017, 10:53
sattva
I rather like a simple two-word name, "Infinite Horizons".
January 29, 2017, 14:36
<Proofreader>
Trump Travels
January 29, 2017, 15:27
Geoff
OK, I'll try to be civil and follow Bob's lead by suggesting the Latin LUX Or Frenchify it and use LUXE In Latin it means "light," and, of course, suggests luxury.
January 29, 2017, 19:05
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Greg:
Thanks - great ideas.

quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Use Latin?

Vado (Travel)
or
Abito (Go)
or
Indago (Track, spoor)
or
Aevitas (Lifetime)
etc

If you use one I shall look forward to my complimentary copy of issue one. Just send it over with one of the travellers. I live in China. Big Grin

January 29, 2017, 21:21
Kalleh
Welcome, Greg! So glad to see a new face.
quote:
I'm hoping this post does not become a debate about the place of the wealthy, but rather a forum where people with creative ideas about wording can help solve my problem.
We do discuss many subjects here, but we are a friendly group.

I, for one, don't like Steep for the name of a magazine; it doesn't evoke in my mind what it seems to in yours. I like Bob's idea of using Latin - Vado or Abito are my favorites. However, I am not sure they evoke action or adventure. Let me think about it...
January 29, 2017, 22:51
Greg
Thanks, Kalleh. I'm struggling with it too.

Part of the challenge is availablity - so many titles are taken.
January 30, 2017, 02:22
sattva
There is an assumption here that those who have a few million dollars are going to know Latin. Have demographics shown that to be true? What about those that are entrepreneurs and have that kind of spirit when it also comes to vacations? It is quite possible that those with a few million just made good investments or got in at the right time in a new industry. Of Bob's choices, I like aevitas, but I am not sure a Latin word is the way to go.
January 30, 2017, 05:37
BobHale
I wasn't assuming that. I was assuming that those with a few million dollars like to think (rightly or wrongly) that they have class and we all know everything sounds classier in Latin.

January 30, 2017, 05:57
<Proofreader>
quote:
t those with a few million dollars like to think (rightly or wrongly) that they have clas

Have you seen our "millionaire" chief executive?
January 30, 2017, 19:15
BobHale
I have. But I'll bet HE THINKS he has more class than anyone else. He has the best class.

January 30, 2017, 20:40
Kalleh
quote:
There is an assumption here that those who have a few million dollars are going to know Latin. Have demographics shown that to be true?
You beat me to it, Proof! Wink

I didn't assume that; I thought any reader who didn't know Latin (most probably) would be curious to look up the word and then would feel ingratiated to it. It's just a little different so I like the idea.
January 31, 2017, 06:00
arnie
I agree with Bob that a Latin title might be good. Vita means "lifetime/life" and would be good if not already taken.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
February 01, 2017, 19:34
Kalleh
I put a lot of adventure type words into Google Translate for Latin but couldn't come up with anything better than Bob's.