Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dressing Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My father has been very ill, and I will have to make Thanksgiving dinner at his home. Therefore, I decided to buy mostly pre-made food for Thanksgiving this year. I went to the grocery store and asked for "dressing." While I am going to roast the turkey myself, I didn't want to fiddle with making the dressing. The clerk looked at me as though I were crazy. Then he asked if I meant "gravy." "No," I said, "I mean dressing." He asked if I meant broth. "No, I mean dressing." Well, after thinking they must not have it, I said, "You know, stuffing." He said, "Ahhh...stuffing! Yes, we have that."

Is "dressing" a regional word? The clerk happened to be Hispanic.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned it as dressing, since that's what my folks called it. I do hear stuffing used more often these days. Here's a definition from the OED Online:
quote:
dressing
Cookery. The seasoning substance used in cooking; stuffing; the sauce, etc., used in preparing a dish, a salad, etc.
1504 Nottingham Rec. III. 319 For floure and peper, and dressing. 1853 A. SOYER Pantroph.75 Lettuces may also be eaten with a dressing of gravy and pickles.

From Wikipedia:
quote:
Dressing is another name for stuffing, the food item which is placed inside a roasted turkey. (In Southern US Cuisine, dressing, while very similar to stuffing, is distinguished by being served as a side dish rather than inside the turkey.)

Now, that's strange. My mother was from Louisiana and she always called it dressing, if I remember right, though it was always stuffed in a turkey.

Then we took it out and stuffed it in us little turkeys (Pre-emptive strike, Asa).

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In the UK, dressing is for salads; stuffing is for geese and turkeys.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Why did the stuffing hide behind the turkey?

Because it was dressing!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, CW! Big Grin

Happy Thanksgiving all you Americans!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Then we took it out and stuffed it in us little turkeys (Pre-emptive strike, Asa).

Tinman

Presupposing UNdressing before stuffing, I assume.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh, Asa, you're so darn conventional! Sometimes it's fun to stuff while dressed!

Thanks, Kalleh - same to you!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post