Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disruption Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am at a conference where we talked about "planned disruption" in health care today. Though we spent all day on the concept, in short, it is planning for the chaos that occurs with change. One person stated that she thought planned disruption was an oxymoron. My thoughts precisely! We also had discussions about whether there is positive disruption. While I think that disruption can result in something positive, I can't see that the disruption itself is positive.

What do you think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think that the only accurate use of "planned disrupton" would be for something like strike action where you are planning to disrupt your employer's business. The phrase I'd have used for what you describe is "anticipated disruption" or pehaps "contingency planning for the anticipated disruption", longer I know but at least it's accurate.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Planned disruption sounds like sabotage. Emergency plan sounds better.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree. It just irritates me how academics take a perfectly good word and make it mean something else. It is confusing and often illogical.

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
An example of positive disruption:

I once came home to find my SO (Significant Other. Do you use that term in the UK?) sitting in a chair gazing idly out a window. She seemed mildly preoccupied with something but whether she was simply bored or depressed, I never found out.

Walking over to the chair, I bent over, took her face in my hands, and laid a good, wet, sloppy one right on her. After some 30 seconds duration, I pulled away and said, "There! That's for nothin'!" and walked away.

As a result of this positive disruption, she got out of the chair, we went out for dinner and dancing and had a wonderful evening. I highly recommend it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice example, CJ. So you've convinced me; there are positive disruptions. However, that must mean there are negative disruptions and just plain disruptions.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

As a result of this positive disruption, she got out of the chair, we went out for dinner and dancing and had a wonderful evening. I highly recommend it.

Won't you be jealous if we do likewise? Roll Eyes Sunflower will definately frown on it!

And Kalleh, as for academics' changing the meaning of a perfectly clear word, whaddaya think politicians do!!! Orwellian semantics! Mad

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
as for academics' changing the meaning of a perfectly clear word, whaddaya think politicians do!!! Orwellian semantics!

I believe the term for that is "spinning."

Dictionary.com has this for "spin":
To provide an interpretation of (a statement or event, for example), especially in a way meant to sway public opinion: “a messenger who spins bogus research into a vile theology of hatred” (William A. Henry III).

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
quote:

Won't you be jealous if we do likewise? Roll Eyes Sunflower will definately frown on it!

Why would I frown on a kiss, dinner and dancing??? Roll Eyes

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sunflower, I had the same question you did. I can't wait to see what Asa had meant! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Sunflower, I had the same question you did. I can't wait to see what Asa had meant! Wink

Still waiting. . . Frown

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
My guess is that he (Asa) was joking because of the way it was originally phrased. It could have been interpreted that CJ was suggesting that others try it out with his(CJ's) S.O.

Asa, being the way he is, was saying that Sunflower would not like it so much if he was suddenly kissing, wining and dining someone else. Big Grin

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Asa, being the way he is, was saying that Sunflower would not like it so much if he was suddenly kissing, wining and dining someone else. Big Grin

Yeah, what she said! Big Grin

And Kalleh, see the thread wherein "reframing" is mentioned. It's a close ally to spinning.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disruption is halting a process, and in that context has no moral dimension. To apply positive disruption would be the halting of a negative process (poor hygiene practices thru to phobias, for clinical examples).

I don't consider 'planned disruption' to be oxymoron because a disruption is not necessarily the undoing of a plan. I would guess that the connotation of negative, chaotic influence that the word disruption has become associated with is due to its use by our teachers when describing interruptions to our lessons. Well, it's a theory Smile. But disruption is often the orderly halting of a process, so doesn't qualify for oxymoron status.

Posts: 129 | Location: AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
My guess is that he (Asa) was joking because of the way it was originally phrased. It could have been interpreted that CJ was suggesting that others try it out with his(CJ's) S.O.

You guessed right, CW! Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Or...Sunflower, he was just trying to get out of it fast! Big Grin

Beans, I have been thinking a lot about "positive disruption" and "planned disruption" since posting this, and I am coming around to your point of view. I think you make a good point. BTW, we haven't seen you in awhile...welcome back! Wink