Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Have you seen a resurgence?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you seen a resurgence? Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
I read, "The American Empire has seen a resurgence in recent years."

Is that a good usage? I mean, the Empire hasn't 'seen' a resurgence. It has 'had' one, and observers have seen it happen.

Yes, I know this is picking a nit, but is the source I read technically wrong?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shufitz,

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
In my work I am constantly reading text like "its profile has witnessed a thrilling resurgence recently and is now leading the real estate charge", and so I find "see a resurgence" refreshing literal and uncomplicated.

Going back to the literal root, I suppose it's waves that rise back up. There's not much that literal resurgers can do except resurge; I'd be reluctant to say that a wave literally had a resurgence. So 'have' and 'undergo' are already paddling a little into the metaphorical sea, and 'experience' is only slightly deeper water. What can experience can see. Whatever is personified or reified as having a resurgence has thereby been given other cognitive powers including sight, so they can see their resurgence as they're experiencing it.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What an eloquent discussion, Aput.

This may be one of those times when the terminology is changing, whether or not it is right, Shu. I surely hear that phrase a lot.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So, even the folks at the Wall Street Journal are admitting to our imperialist intentions? Frown Confused Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Since America has never, until recently, had Imperial ambitions, let alone an Empire, how could it have a resurgence?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good point, Richard (and welcome back! Wink). I agree; we can hardly call it an "American Empire" in the first place.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post