Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jumped the Shark Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
I thought I had read about this term on Wordcraft, but searching around, I can't find it. Actually, I saw a reference to the phrase today in a political blog, in which Bush was characterized as having "jumped the shark" in this, his seventh year "on TV."

The blog referenced the Wikipedia article on the expression.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I, too, was sure that we'd discussed it before. It's an apt phrase.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I searched, too, and looked at each of the 24 or so entries; I don' think we've talked about that phrase. I haven't heard it before; I hope that doesn't mean I am a doofus (see, z, I spelled it your way. Wink).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a look at the Wikipedia article on "jumping the shark". It lists 18 sure signs that a series is about to die. As I read down through them I said to myself, "how true, how true!"
Then it occurred to me that there is an exception so obvious that it negates, rather than proves the rule: SOAP OPERAS!.
I judge that at least 11 of the listed death rattles are, in the daytime soaps, standard operating procedure. This indicates that, though these rules are immutable in the normal entertainment universe, soaps are from another world! Wink

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I don't know whether we've talked about it here but I've certainly talked about it somewhere and this is the only word board I use...

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The phrase started on 1997 on http://www.jumptheshark.com/

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post