Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

germanic Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Twice this week at a nursing regulatory conference I have heard a speaker use the word "germanic." I should have jotted down the context, but instead I decided I'd look the word up when I got back to my room. Of course I was familiar with the meaning related to "German," but I thought there was a more general meaning. I couldn't find a thing, either in dictionary.com or the OED. The speakers were not talking about Germany for sure. Any idea what another meaning of "germanic" might be?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It can mean "of or containing germanium, especially in the tetravalent state"; see Dictionary.com.

Without the context it's not really possible to tell, but could it have been germane you heard?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe they think it's a synonym for pathogenic? That is, related to germs?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Without the context it's not really possible to tell, but could it have been germane you heard?
I know, arnie, so this probably was a probably a useless thread. I should have written down the contexts. The first time I just thought I'd heard it wrong. But when it happened again, I wondered.

I am certain the word was germanic, and not germane. There was no discussion of tetravalent states. Oh well.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post