Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Is "What's up" the new "Hello?" Recently when my son calls me on the phone, he says, "What's up, Mom?" I can't help but say, "Honey, you called me. What's up with you?" My daughter says that when she calls people, she, too, says "What's up?" Is this a Chicago oddity, or is this happening elsewhere as well?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think "what's up?" is a pretty common greeting around here. I don't think it's really new, though probably more prevalent. I remember someone years ago often responding to that greeting with "The price of rice."

I rarely hear "Hello," anymore, except as a telephone greeting. "What's happnin'? and "How's it goin'? are still around, though. I never hear "How do you do?," though I do hear "How are you (today)?," mostly from store clerks. The problem with "How are you?" is some people actually tell you.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Wasn't "wassup" a catch phrase in a Dudweiser or some other chemical fizz advertisement?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong; I find "what's up" to be common enough. I just haven't heard of it used as the first greeting on the phone towards someone. I've seen "what's up" used when for example you'd say, "Hello" or "Hi" or something similar, and then you'd say "What's up?" or "How's it going?" or "What's happening?" or whatever.

I must be wrong, though.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It goes back at least to the Bugs Bunny cartoons which began in 1940. "Ehhhhh.... what's up, Doc?" was Bugs Bunny's greeting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugs_Bunny

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Nowadays the greeting has mutated into one word: "wassup?".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also "what up", as in the name of Michael Steele's blog.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've also heard it as a further abbreviation of "wassup", simply as "'sup?".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I've also heard it as a further abbreviation of "wassup", simply as "'sup?".

That reminds me of how I often hear the (already irritating) phrase "Know what I mean, like" reduced to "nameen lk".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When someone says, "know what I mean?" I always say, "No, what do you mean?" I think in Cyberlanguage I'm known as a troll.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I first noticed "What's up," or "whassup" as a casual greeting from my son when he was in college almost 15 years ago. I think it's that generation--are they Gen X? Anyway, it's superior to the conversation starter we used to get every time our office was taken to lunch by a salesman from a printing company we used.

He'd wait until we'd all been served, and then say, "So, what's new and exciting with you?" I always wanted to say, "Not this lunch!"

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You had used lunch? Ewwwww!!! That might lead to new and excreting!

posted Hide Post
My retort: "My schwanz and the rent are up--with no hope of getting them down." Guaranteed convo stopper.

Posts: 70 | Location: Philly/SJReply With QuoteReport This Post