Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DWD Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
We know the term DWI ('Driving While Intoxicated'), and as I recall, Morgan long ago told us about SWI ('Snowmobiling While Intoxicated'). But have you ever heard of DWD ('Driving While Distracted')? I understand that it can now be a legal offence.
    Ask drivers about their habits behind the wheel, and 80% will tell you they are "multitaskers," capable of adjusting the radio, eating snacks or chatting on cellphones while driving. But 59% don't consider themselves distracted drivers ... ,

Americans may not truly understand the threat posed by DWD, or driving while distracted ... The best estimate is that driver distraction causes or contributes to 25% to 50% of auto accidents ...

Although the majority of survey respondents said they've adjusted the radio or CD player, made cellphone calls or eaten while driving, others reported performing activities that are more involved ...
    USA Today, Jan. 22, 2007

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard the acronym (or initialism, as arnie calls it), but it makes sense. I agree that it is a huge cause of accidents. I once saw someone driving on the expressway and practicing a trumpet in stop and go traffic. That was probably the worst of what I've seen, but I've seen people drive as they've read newspapers or books, as they've shaved (or is it shaven?), as they put on makeup, eaten, etc., etc.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We have an offence called driving without due care and attention which seems to cover your DWD.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have an offence called driving without due care and attention
As a lawyer, I naturally went to look for the legal definition of that offense. Smile

Interestingly, I couldn't find it! Apparently it used to be defined in broad terms, leaving the courts to apply those terms in particular cases, but was amended in 2006 to provide a staturory definition. Thus:
    Driving without due care and attention ... will be given statutory definitions by the Road Traffic Act 1988 (RTA 1988), s 3ZA, inserted by RSA 2006, s 30. Hitherto, these terms have been defined only in the case law.
But I couldn't find that 2006 statute!

Edit: Thank you, zmj! You nailed it. The first cite gives the amendment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shufitz,

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
But I couldn't find that 2006 statute!

Is this what you're looking for? Also, the section of the 1988 Act it amended.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
In Pennsylvania, DWI is DUI--Driving Under the Influence.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
The rules in Great Britain are similar. The Institute of Advanced Motoring advised:

as from Midnight on 1 December 2003:

It is a specific offence to use a hand-held phone when driving. A hand-held device is something that “is or must be held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function.” A motorist can regard driving as meaning a vehicle with the engine running. In simple terms you can use a mobile as long as you don’t hold the phone and you can’t use a hand-held phone if the
engine is running.

Motorists will receive a fixed penalty. Motorists can take the matter to court and the maximum fine is £1000. (£2,500 for drivers of goods vehicles). [fines may have changed]
Mobile phones should be placed in cradles e attached to the dashboard. Pushing buttons is permissible.
However, … iIf you are stopped by police and you are using a hands-free phone while driving, you can face prosecution under other motoring laws. The police can charge you with driving
without due care and attention, not being in proper control and dangerous driving. [/QUOTE]

It may also constitute an offence to drive whilst holding food or a can of drink etc.
Since most road accidents are caused by driver error, these rules save lives.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post