Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sparks Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
As an industrial worker, I often use various grinding machines. Some produce elegant sparks that shoot away from the ferrous materials I'm grinding, sending dendrites of incandescent metal flying away from the surface in spectacular fashion. There are often little starbursts that mark the end of the spark's travel, but sometimes a starburst will generate yet another stream and burst. Are there actual names for the various phenomena that I've described, or must we just speak in awed metaphor at such displays?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

(And Asa, you can talk to me like that anytime wink)

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Asa, you can talk to me like that anytime

Was it as good for you as it was for me? smile Oh, it's just that the ground wire broke, and you were standing in water. Oh, well...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Was it as good for you as it was for me?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You got me, Asa, though I did ask the question of some logophiles and hope to hear soon.

Morgan, what wonderful displays! big grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asa, I have been looking for words for these things, and have been unable to come up with them. I do have to say, I like the way you describe them! Have you ever done any writing?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Have you ever done
any writing?
Sure - dozens of Letters to The Editor. Several written reasons why I shouldn't be cited by that cop. However, the companies for whom I do warranty repair work have stifled my natural abilities, stating that I may no longer submit claims beginning with "Once upon a time..." roll eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, I agree with Angel. Your description was so intriguing that I looked all over for an answer. However, I am sorry to say that I found none. A friend's brother is an MIT educated engineer. He said the technical descriptors were in his texts--but, alas, he has thrown them away! frown

posted Hide Post
OK...talked to a friend of mine who teaches welding. His response: "In welding we call them feathers and starbursts."

Now, is this what you are talking about asa, or is it not the same in welding as it is in your application?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Now, is this what you are talking about asa, or is it not the same in welding as it is in
your application?
Actually, electric resistance, or arc welding produces two types of spark. There's the little piece of lightning shooting between the metal and the welding tip, and there are spatters of molten metal leaping from the surface that produce the sort of sparks I'm referring to. However, it's friction from a grinding wheel that produces the meteor showers of sparks that I find so wonderous to behold. But, then, it's a full moon, and I'm liable to think lots of stuff is wonderful tonight

posted Hide Post
Asa I was referring to grinding sparks with the feathers and starbursts. the bright balls of fire in the arc and flying from the arc also have specific names. The arc is a state of matter that is not solid, liquid, or gas called plasma. The bright little sparks shooting from the weld area are actually little balls of burning steel called spatter.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome Buckeyeteacher! Nice to have you aboard!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Good post, buckeyeteacher! Glad you joined in! You've brought us to having several phenomena that we commonly lump together as "sparks:" Plasma, the "fourth state of matter," spatter, feathers, and starbursts.

I contacted someone who's not on this board who writes poetry, thinking that she might spark some other imaginings, and she directed me to a website about Nicola Tesla. As one who's long been fascinated by Tesla, I appreciated her contribution, but, since his work was with high voltage electricity, thus, I assume, plasma "sparks," it didn't lead me to the promised land.

Now, I still want to know what causes the starbursts? And why are the straight lines of oxidizing iron called feathers? The more answers, the more questions they generate

posted Hide Post
Oh, Buck! I knew I would capture your interest! It is so nice to have you and your expertise aboard! Happy posting. smile