Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woonerf Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an article in the Tribune yesterday about the first woonerf in the Midwest. Neither Shu nor I had heard the word before. Apparently it is a Dutch word, meaning "living street." Here is a quote from the article:
quote:
The Dutch call this kind of communal street a woonerf (pronounced VONE-erf), which translates roughly to "living street." Such streets, also known as shared streets or complete streets, have been commonplace in Europe for decades. Now they're popping up around the U.S., challenging the order in which the car is king.
Have any of you heard of them or seen them? Apparently they're common in Europe and the UK. In the UK they're defined as home streets?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had heard the term from Rex Burkholder, http://gettingto2100.org/about-rex-burkholder/ ten years ago, but had forgotten about it.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
It's an insidious concept aimed at transforming modern society back to an age where horse and buggy are king. Gradually, after all modern conveniences are outlawed, we will suddenly realize we have become Amish.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
we will suddenly realize we have become Amish.
Wow! Think of the benefit to out gardens! Free horse manure!

BTW, Mein Frau just got a job in Geneva, Indiana, which is very heavily Amish. She'll be taking her bucket and shovel to work.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I used to date an Amish girl but had to break up -- no electricity.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How about those of you in England or Canada?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Every now and then I se something in the news about this sort of street but I've never seen one and don't know how successful they are. I know that The Netherlands is particularly keen.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
woon- is "residential" (German wohnen, English wont) and erf is "couryard" (German Erbe, Old English erfe)

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I used to date an Amish girl but had to break up -- no electricity.

This gave me the inspiration for posting the following on OEDILF:

Just today, I was lost, reminiscing
'Bout an Amish girl I once tried kissing.
That night in the dark
We just lacked a spark
Since, with her, electricity's missing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought it was Dutch. I checked the online OED, and it says it's Dutch, though I suppose it could just be a Dutch word from German?

posted Hide Post
Yes it is Dutch