Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fribbly Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have you ever heard of fribbly as an antonym for Schadenfreude, to mean taking pleasure in another's joy? I don't think it's a real word (similar to the e-word we've discussed here before), but there should be a word for that!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it. It sounds more like an adverb.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Dr.Seuss or Lewis Carroll creation. Never heard of it. Where did you find it? Or did you invent it? Wink

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It was in that link, Geoff, so I didn't invent it. I found it when I was looking up "peter" for penis.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
fribbly

The anti-e-word. Ha! As it says in your link: it's not in the OED. Nor any other dictionary I looked at. April Fool's joke, or somebody pulling your leg.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds suspiciously like "frabjous," hence my above association with Carroll.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In an excerpt from Fifty Shades of Grey: "...and it escapes me how she managed to hide a toaster inside her fribbly, although it was truly cavernous."
There is a distinct possibility I misread, though.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, if you click that link in my first post here, it is cited as being an antonym for Schadenfreude. I agree, however, that it's wrong. Does anyone know anything about that English Language & Usage site? Is it bogus?

When putting fribbly into Google, you'll find it's in our favorite non-dictionary, Urban Dictionary. There it says it is a word anytime you can't think of a word for something, though it is usually used negatively. That might be how it was used in "Fifty Shades of Grey," Proof. It's interesting, though, that as the alleged antonym for Schadenfreude, it's a positive meaning.

Interestingly, our son had an elementary teacher named Miss Fribbly.